HELP - Drive failure

Hey all,

Last night I had a sudden drive failure (Seagate ST2000DM001) so I shut down the machine to put a new drive in.. on booting the system, ALL drives assignments where GONE. Every slot said 'unassigned'. Thankfully I had taken a screenshot of my drive assignments a few weeks ago, so I set all the other drives back as usual, ticked 'Parity is valid' box and started the array (still with a missing disk).

I now have a replacement disk for it, and want to plug it in an assign it to the slot.. my question is, will a parity rebuild automatically start, or is there something special I have to do? I know that NORMALLY when replacing a disk it will start a sync/rebuild, but in this case, its sort of a 'new config' because all drive assignments were lost for some reason.

Any advice appreciated. At this moment, the machine is powered off, but all drives are assigned (except the failed/replaced disk, which is still on my desk).

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

That would be much worse, but what would did was still wrong since parity isn't valid with a missing disk.

I didn't have a disk to replace it with at the time, and I was hoping that rebooting the system would bring that failing disk back online (its happened before with other disks, ages ago).. but on reboot, ALL disks being unassigned wasn't a good sign.

So you want me to boot and get diagnostics now?

Assuming disk5 is the missing disk:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign the new disk5

-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session and type:

mdcmd set invalidslot 5 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk5 will start rebuilding, if the disk is unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check.