Looking Glass with UnRaid

Also, with looking glass, you'd still need to pass through an entire gpu to a VM (for example windows), what you'd then could do (not with unRAID as jonathanm correctly pointed out) with a linux host is have the framebuffer of the windows gpu copied to the frame buffer of your linux host so you get a kind of picture-in-picture, and you only need 1 cable.

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this since this is the only thread on this topic I found searching.

gnif had a prototype working that did guest to guest copy, although I think it had some issues he hadn't work through. So in theory you could have a linux VM with a graphics card that can view another windows VM with a graphics cards output. But I don't think its there yet.

I wouldn't definitely like to see this working in unraid some day.

Edit: Actually looks further along than I thought. From https://forum.level1techs.com/t/looking-glass-guides-help-and-support/122387/701

Those willing to run the unstable master version and are using AMD hardware on the client may get a substantial performance improvement as I just added GL_AMD_pinned_memory support. On my test system I am seeing a substantial improvement in frame rate.

Edit: A kernel module has also been added to allow VM->VM communication.

Edited by scorcho99
  • 5 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 6:39 AM, scorcho99 said:

I'm bumping this since this is the only thread on this topic I found searching.

gnif had a prototype working that did guest to guest copy, although I think it had some issues he hadn't work through. So in theory you could have a linux VM with a graphics card that can view another windows VM with a graphics cards output. But I don't think its there yet.

I wouldn't definitely like to see this working in unraid some day.

Edit: Actually looks further along than I thought. From https://forum.level1techs.com/t/looking-glass-guides-help-and-support/122387/701

The software is apparently usable, but I haven't managed to set it up with any success personally. I, too, would be very happy to see it packaged with UnRaid — or at least available to integrate with a good tutorial — in the near future. 

Edited by cyberspectre
Post was inside quote