Connecting to share failed

Mr.Bobo

Hi guys,

So just recently I started getting this issue where I would turn off my pc and after turning back on it would say:

Connecting to share "name" failed

Error code 53: The server (host) address could not be resolved

To get it to work again I have to reboot the server, at which point it connects without issue. I do not have this problem with public shares like ISO. I have multiple shares under one account is that the problem? meaning using different private shares at the same time with the same account. Any help would be appreciated.

The problem usually would be if you tried to access different shares with different accounts, since Windows will only allow one remote user per connection. Is this a different account than you are using to access the public shares? Is this a different user than the Windows login account?

You might try looking through this sticky at the top of this subforum and see if there is anything for you:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

No same account on everything and yes. I had to use a program called NetDrives since windows would not let me connect to my shares using the integrated system and until now (4-5 moths) it has worked like a charm.

Ok ill run through the thread. But as far as I can see SMB is just a bit retarded xD. Shouldn't they make a new protocol that wasn't made when AOL used to be a thing?

I don't know anything about NetDrives, but it shouldn't be necessary. Lots of people connecting to shares on unRAID without resorting to NetDrives, never saw any other user mention it.

And many not even bothering to map drives. I don't since everything I need can be done by simply browsing the network. Mapped drives can be a security risk since malware doesn't even have to be network aware to attack network resources that are mapped as drives.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't know anything about NetDrives, but it shouldn't be necessary. Lots of people connecting to shares on unRAID without resorting to NetDrives, never saw any other user mention it.

And many not even bothering to map drives. I don't since everything I need can be done by simply browsing the network. Mapped drives can be a security risk since malware doesn't even have to be network aware to attack network resources that are mapped as drives.

Trust me I spent hours on this, unless I am missing something, as far as I can tell it is an issue with my windows 10 (given to me by my university) because I set both server and windows to the same name and when prompted I insert the password only for another page to popout in which whatever I insert gets denied and eventually it tells me that windows cannot access it. If I just input the shares address into finder without mapping the drive it just tells me that it cannot find the share/server.

InkedScreenshot 2018-03-15 16.47.34_LI.jpg

InkedScreenshot 2018-03-15 16.47.45_LI.jpg

Archived