Noob Question About User Shares

ChappyEight

I've been doing my best to read up on and watch videos regarding how to best set up and use User Shares.  That said, when I then look to apply it to my specific situation, I start confusing myself a bit.  

Currently I'm only using this server as a Plex server.  What I'd like to do is to now also use a portion of it to back up my files from my desktop Windows 10 machine.  Currently I have two User Shares that I just kind of fell into as I was trying to learn Unraid (see attached image).  The "Media" folder is all my Plex files divided into "Movies" and TV".  

So, I'm not certain these are even the correct questions to be asking, but here they are:

1. How do I most appropriately add a share that would be for file backups and/or a file server (or both)?
  2. Do I need to do anything to the two current user shares (appdata and "Media") before adding the one mentioned above?
  3. Can I rename "Media" to "Plex" or will that break my Plex mounts?

I don't know if I explained myself well so please feel free to request more information and/or call me out for not asking the correct question.

Thanks,

Chappy

shares.PNG

9 hours ago, ChappyEight said:

How do I most appropriately add a share that would be for file backups and/or a file server (or both)?

The easiest way is to      Shares   >>>   User Shares   and click on the Add Shares  button.

Do I need to do anything to the two current user shares (appdata and "Media") before adding the one mentioned above?

No

Can I rename "Media" to "Plex" or will that break my Plex mounts?

Probably. But , you can probably do this but it will involve a fair amount of planning.  Personally, I would leave things as they are.  I might feel a bit different if that share (Media) were named "Data".  The name does reflect what is there and I am not so sure that changing it to "Plex" has any real great advantage.  You could decide two weeks from now, you don't want to use Plex anymore but the files that you have stored would still be media files.  

Archived