Upgrades planned, should I start over on my config?

Pyro

Let's go ahead and preface this by saying that I'm a novice at best. I managed to get everything working via YouTube, guesswork, and presumably luck. My current configuration is as follows:

ASRock - H170A-X1, Celeron G3930, single 8gb DDR4. When I first started, I had an ancient ATI GPU (x1900) installed because I needed a VGA port and the mobo didn't have one. I removed it when I got a monitor with DVI, this will come up later. There's a mishmash of drives, containing three 2tb, one 1.5tb, and two 1tb 2.5" drives with a single parity. I'm running version 6.4.0.

I'm running transmissionvpn, Plex, and plexpy dockers; community applications plugin at the moment. I have openvpn, filezilla, mcmyadmin, and transmission dockers installed but disabled. Not sure how much of that info is necessary, but there it is.

I'm looking to make a few changes because more of my family is starting to use Plex. I picked up a 120gb SSD for a cache drive, a smaller USB drive, (physical size, not capacity) and I'm looking for a good deal on an i5 6400-7500 and another 8gb RAM stick. At some point I'd like to change out some of the goofy hard drives (1.5tb and 2.5" drives) for better ones, but that's not necessary right now.

I'm looking at all the changes, and not exactly sure how I should go about doing it. Would it be easy to migrate all of the config and whatnot to the SSD, or would I be better off starting over and reconfiguring the few plugins and dockers I actually use? Additionally, when I removed the GPU from the system, it will no longer boot normally. I have to put it into GUI mode or else it hangs up and never fully boots. I haven't been able to pinpoint that one and Google (which often leads here) hasn't helped in my attempts. That's the other reason I'm considering a fresh start.

I apologise if I've left out information, formatted the post incorrectly, or put this in the wrong section. Thanks for whatever wisdom you feel I am worthy of receiving.

Your license is tied to the USB drive you are currently using. If you replace it, you can get a new license, but there are restrictions on how frequently you can do this.

There are several possible ways to proceed. Many of us have upgraded hardware and just booted up with the old drives in place and it just worked. You could add the cache later, get mover to move those things to cache that belong there, then tweak a few settings as needed with your docker image and individual containers.

If you want more detail let us know how you would like to proceed.

Right, I know that changing USB drives was a limited thing. I should have used this new one from the start, it barely sticks out of the USB port. I've been using the current USB drive for almost a year. The new one is a SanDisk, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Is mover a plugin? I didn't see it in settings or tools.

I'm going to try installing and running fix common problems when I get a minute to work on the server again. Hopefully that'll solve the booting problem but I have my doubts. I'm going to eventually move the system off site, so I need it to boot without issues.

I guess my actual course of action will be to throw hardware at it and hope for the best. Should that fail, I'll be back here, lol. If I can't figure out the booting problem I guess I should make a thread for that alone.

7 minutes ago, Pyro said:

Is mover a plugin?

mover is the builtin script (present in unRAID since at least V4.7 when I got involved) which originally moved user share data from cache to the array as scheduled. It has expanded functionality which includes the ability to move user share data from array to cache. Here is a link from the V6 FAQ which explains in detail the different cache settings for a user share:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

mover schedule is in Settings - Scheduler, and it can also be invoked manually from Main - Array Operations.

One of the benefits of the cache-prefer setting is the ability to get certain data that normally belongs on cache moved to cache after the fact when a cache drive is installed.

Archived