does not reboot after console says rebooting

I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 machine that will not reboot.  If I issue a "powerdown -r" command it appears to go through all the various shutdown stages just fine, and the last two messages I see are '/boot unmounted' and 'rebooting' but the machine never reboots.  The video display turns off.  And it seems to go into some weird frozen state.  The reset button does nothing.  The power button pressed momentarily does nothing.  I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds for the power to actually turn off.  And then I am able to power it back on and it boots up as though nothing were wrong.  I've done a little bit of searching trying to find where a syslog might be saved to help diagnose this, but I can't seem to find any saved copy anywhere on my flash drive.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

edit: I should note, I do not have any dockers or anything installed.  And I only have a few plugins installed, which are mostly a few of the Dynamix ones.  All I use the machine for is Samba shares.

Edited by _Shorty
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, _Shorty said:

The reset button does nothing

If this happens, then its your motherboard / cpu that has actually locked up, as any OS doesn't have any override ability to the reset switch.  Not quite sure where to go on this, but checking for BIOS updates would be a start.

Frank, no difference.  Still exhibits the same behaviour.

Squid, well, it doesn't happen when booting into and rebooting from Windows.  Sometimes shutdown works, and sometimes it seems to do something similar to what I've described.  unRAID doesn't seem to be behaving as far as whatever power mode commands it sends in order to reboot/shutdown.  The machine is 10 years old.  It has long had the latest BIOS.  And it has never exhibited this behaviour under any version of Windows in that decade.

Powerdown shuts the machine off just fine.  I did a bit of googling on linux in general, rather than restricting myself to unraid, and found quite a few people with the same issue.  Some reports of solving it by adding the boot paramater "reboot=b" or "reboot=pci" or some other similar things, such as seen here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7114/why-cant-i-restart-shutdown

I suppose I should try adding that to my boot params, providing I can figure out how to add them to unraid.  I'll try that in the morning when I get the chance.

• 1 month later...

Well, I eventually got around to fooling with this a bit more.

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot boot=a

This boot=a parameter seems to make the machine successfully shut off every time, but I still get no love on reboot attempts.  But this is ok.  The only time I seem to reboot it is when a new version is released anyway, and it is a simple matter to just tell it to shut off and then go hit the power button whenever that completes.  I'm glad that is working, at least.  Wonder what it is with that motherboard and linux that don't like each other, at least as far as this issue goes, heh.  I believe I tried every valid boot= flag and that was the one that at least worked for shutdowns.