We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Duplicate files on unRAID

As I recall, some years back, there was a lot of discussion about how to modify Unraid so a user could not create a duplicate file in the same array directory path regardless of what they were attempting to do.  (Some of the ways that you can create a duplicate file can also result in the loss of data if the operation copies a file onto itself.  This can easily occur when doing mixed array-disk operations!) 

The problem was that every solution created another potential problem or prevent a user from doing something that was actually required (or very desirable).  In the end, it was decided to change the default of disk share to change the default for Disk Shares 'Export' to 'No'.   (Prior to this time the default had been 'Yes'.)   This was not really a solution...  It only prevented a user from easily losing data using the  default/as-installed Unraid configuration.   This default forced the beginning (and less tech savvy)  Unraid user to use User Shares rather than Disk Shares.  (Yes, there were a few persons back then who preferred using Disk Shares rather than User Shares...)

Remember a duplicate file name in itself is not an indicator of a problem!   If you make periodic data backups of a computer to your Unraid server, you will have lots of duplicate files if you look at the backup sets.   I make monthly backups and I have some from 2013.   (As they age, I delete some of the monthly backups so I will have a representation backup of that time period..)

Edited by Frank1940