Hey there!   

I have been gifted 10 Dell 6TB (6000GB) 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 512e 6Gbps Drives from Work, so I was wondering if its worth building a new box around these drives or sell them?

I have Unraid compatible SAS controllers so its more if these drives are a good choice or not.  I see there are cables which a breakout to SAS connectors which use the sata power connections inline, which would work, or sata\sas backplanes. I'm currently using a Microserver with 4TB drives, so looking at upgrading soon anyhow.

Opinions are most welcome!

In your shoes I would run *at least 1 pass of the* preclear script per drive which will grant you some significant stats of  the drive health.   

If using these, also consider bumping up to dual parity if you are not already. 

At work we have 2 dell servers that came loaded with Dell branded Seagate constellation drives.  1 server is windows server os the other Unraid.   On the unraid server preclear detected about a 25% bad drive rate which were replaced under warranty.  Since deployment a few years ago the unraid server has suffered 1 drive failure.   The windows os has been down multiple times for multiple drive failures.  YMMV - and 1 shipment of preloaded servers <> the entire population. 

Edited by landS
39 minutes ago, landS said:

In your shoes I would run *at least 1 pass of the* preclear script per drive which will grant you some significant stats of  the drive health.   

Hi IandS,

These are brand new drives, sealed in anti static shrink wrap. I generally have used red drives in the past. 

I would run a pre clear. 

The Silverstone CS380 looks like a good case to pair with the drives.

with 8 hot swappable hdd bays and 2 5.25 bays that Silverstone CS380 looks very lovely... doubly so for only $125.

Then up top order 1 SY-MRA55006 Drive Bay Adapter, 1 x 3.5" + 1 x 2.5" HDD/SSD, USB 3.0, 5.25" Bay

And

also order 1 Icy Dock CPo24 https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=237 Drive Bay Adapter, 1 x 3.5" + 1 Slim Optical 

This will let you have 2 3.5 hot swaps (to finish using up your 6 TB dell disks), give you 1 2.5 SSD slots for cache/vm host/etc,  2 USB drives up front, and a slim optical drive to pass through via an add-on card or usb adapter to your vm 

That CS380 is exactly what I've been looking for in my Ryzen server upgrade! SWEET! It's been hard finding a case that had hot-swap bays with gaps between the drives for efficient cooling without requiring high speed/noisy fans. I also paired it with two IcyDock 3.5" in 5.25" hotswaps that include a fan blowing on the bottom of the drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4M52YX8129

Looking forward for this to release: https://icydock.com/goods.php?id=269