Aaarrgghh!! Deleted my /mnt/disk1

superloopy1

Since I'm not familiar with the recovery utilities, I wouldn't assume nothing is touched, so a parity check might be in order after putting the drive back.

I think you might be right and maybe i'll just throw a replacement drive in. It's going to take some time to sort the deleted drive out now that my UFS scan has completed. I need to say that i know nothing, nada, zilch about file recovery and what UFS has handed me back after a 15hr scan is not very inspiring. Around 75% of the disk 'appeared' ok with no redballed folder icons. Good ... but, once inside the folder there are numerous individual redballed files, not so good! Fortunately i hash all of my folders and a lot of the hash files had survived. So, armed with a 'good' folder i recovered its content and then checked the hash out with poor results. On checking, the redballed files appear to be those on which only the properties are missing. Data appeared ok but obviously, without a valid hash file i cant tell. What i need to do now is try to restore the original properties, creation date, date modified etc from the hash file to the redballed files and then check the hashing for sync again. But its a massive job and i dont know if there's any tools or scripts to sync hash file properties recorded BACK to the intial source files which would help enormously. Anyone any ideas on a way forward? 

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know whether the hash generated by Corz or any similar product takes account of the timestamps ie date modified etc or is it purely a hashing algorithm based on the data itself cos if it is then i'm stuffed. Most of my 'recovered' files have a different hash?? Even the ones which say successfully recovered.

Traditional hashing would just be file data.

But a number of hashing tools combines the hash information with storage of the modify time and size of the file - but this is for optimization. A file with changed size can can be instantly concluded to have wrong hash without wasting time to recompute the hash of the file data.

Is the data in question static archive type stuff, or working files? Deleted file recovery is tricky, especially when there have been modifications, deletions, and additions. The recovery software doesn't know whether the file it finds is one that was just deleted, or has been deleted for years. Different file systems effect recoverability as well, XFS doesn't seem to be nearly as recovery friendly as some others.

If you are searching for unique works that you created, photos, documents, etc, then the work to recover them, even if partially corrupted, is warranted. If you are trying to avoid re-ripping your DVD collection, then I'd forget the recovery and start the work needed to replace the files. The effort to recover media available elsewhere isn't worth it. This is coming from personal experience.

Is the data in question static archive type stuff, or working files? Deleted file recovery is tricky, especially when there have been modifications, deletions, and additions. The recovery software doesn't know whether the file it finds is one that was just deleted, or has been deleted for years. Different file systems effect recoverability as well, XFS doesn't seem to be nearly as recovery friendly as some others.

If you are searching for unique works that you created, photos, documents, etc, then the work to recover them, even if partially corrupted, is warranted. If you are trying to avoid re-ripping your DVD collection, then I'd forget the recovery and start the work needed to replace the files. The effort to recover media available elsewhere isn't worth it. This is coming from personal experience.
Thanks, you've just made my decision for me [emoji57]

By the way - anyone seen any tools that retrieves and stores an external backup of paritition + file allocation data for different Linux file systems?

A number of years ago, Norton Technology had a tool for FAT-formatted disks where it duplicated boot sector+partition table+FAT+root directory into recovery files. These could then be used to recover after an accidental format, file delete etc. This helped a lot after my machine suffered some issue and started to just write zero data to the ESDI-connected disks until rebooted. The only file data I couldn't perfectly recover was the save file for a golf game - I did find two copies of the save file and didn't know which was the most recent.

I have had reasons to extract the file allocation information for files on NTFS and EXT4 allowing me to figure out exactly what file and file data offset that is stored on specific disk sectors - all to be able to figure out what is affected by an uncorrectable sector and if the affected files are files I can reproduce and possibly also regenerate the specific sector data for and that way rewrite the data.

But having reasonably fresh off-disk copy of all allocation data would make a huge difference in what can be recovered after a format. And the total amount of data isn't very high so it wouldn't take more than minutes to extract and copy to some other storage volume.

Archived