Moving files to a different share in bulk (same disks)

drumstyx

Not sure if the title makes sense -- basically I have a share, we'll call "xyzShare", which basically houses everything. Cache drive is a 250GB SSD. I have a workflow for media with Radarr and Sonarr which could easily automatically tip over 250GB if I wasn't careful (and I often am not), particularly because I can't get Sonarr/Radarr to automatically clean up the downloads folder (from Davos) once it's moved the media to its final resting place. In short, I don't have the cache drive enabled for the main share because media will overwhelm it

When I'm moving files around within my network, I'm not doing nearly as much traffic, and write a lot of small files, which means the speed of the cache would really help. So I figure I should make a new, cache-enabled share for non-media stuff. Problem is, I've got lots of non-media data on the main share that would need to be migrated.

How much effort/how long would it take to move everything that isn't in media folders into another share? If I just "mv /mnt/user/share1/datafolder /mnt/user/share2/", is Unraid smart enough to do mv's on individual disks to avoid rewriting everything?

Archived