Notification setup

I'm seeing a lot of users reporting bad disks and as part of the support response being advised that they really SHOULD have notifications switched on in advance. I've not done that so far and been trying to set up emails via a gmail account. It's just not working for me ... authorisation failures. Now i KNOW i am inputting the right details, just maybe in the wrong order . Can anyone enlighten me as to what goes where and if i'm still totally at odds which is a good, reliable agent to use instead?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

I thought this was sorted but this am i didnt receive any notifications and on checking the mail account it seems that access previoysly granted to less secure apps had been switched off. Does this mormally happen, if so how can i keep it open?

I seem to recall that G-mail will occasionally serve up a popup window which alerts you that some setting(s) are compromising your security and offers to 'fix'  them...

EDIT:  Some folks have set up a separate G-mail account from their primary account just to avoid seeing those messages.  Or because they are worried about security and don't want their primary account's security level lowered for any reason. 

Edited by Frank1940
10 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I seem to recall that G-mail will occasionally serve up a popup window which alerts you that some setting(s) are compromising your security and offers to 'fix'  them...

EDIT:  Some folks have set up a separate G-mail account from their primary account just to avoid seeing those messages.  Or because they are worried about security and don't want their primary account's security level lowered for any reason. 

I have created individual gmail accounts for machines that should send out mail notifications. So I get mail from <me>.<machine>@gmail.com

2 minutes ago, pwm said:

I have created individual gmail accounts for machines that should send out mail notifications. So I get mail from <me>.<machine>@gmail.com

That's one way.  I just put the server name in the "Email subject prefix:" setting on the SMTP Setting  tab.  That provides me with the server name in the subject line of every E-mail. That way I can use the same E-mail account for all servers. 

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

That's one way.  I just put the server name in the "Email subject prefix:" setting on the SMTP Setting  tab.  That provides me with the server name in the subject line of every E-mail. That way I can use the same E-mail account for all servers. 

Not all hardware supports any email subject prefix. And if you buy a couple of third-party NAS you don't know what security levels they hold. With individual accounts, I can kill an account without having to reconfigure any other equipment. I like to be able to be able to limit every password used to one single login.

Yes ... i did 'try' to set up separate email accounts but it seems google dont like you having too many and i got stymied at the 'verify your account' stage when each and every phone number i tried for verification was rejected. Why? I've only got three and wanted two more, not a big ask surely. Ok, i've set it to 'allow non secure apps ...' again. See what tomorrow brings. Might be easier to just ditch google, fed up with them 'deciding' what levels of security 'I' need. Its purely to protect THEM from scammers, we all know that.

13 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Its purely to protect THEM from scammers, we all know that.

Not really - there are bad phone apps etc that tries to trick people to enter mail account credentials and then abuses your account.

And you don't want your account abused and blacklisted.

Stolen mail accounts can also be used to create - or steal - other accounts. With "I have forgotten my password", an attacker can then attack your Paypal, ebay, Amazon, ... accounts.

So it's most definitely not that Google just want to protect themselves - too much users are unable to protect themselves because of a total lack of skills, so the Google et al has to step in and help the IT noobs from getting too hurt.

The world needs a better mail solution, where the users can create multiple security tokens and register with the hardware they want to associate with their mail account - and where the user can decide exactly what each security token will allow - or how long it should be valid.

Not really - there are bad phone apps etc that tries to trick people to enter mail account credentials and then abuses your account.

And you don't want your account abused and blacklisted.

Stolen mail accounts can also be used to create - or steal - other accounts. With "I have forgotten my password", an attacker can then attack your Paypal, ebay, Amazon, ... accounts.

So it's most definitely not that Google just want to protect themselves - too much users are unable to protect themselves because of a total lack of skills, so the Google et al has to step in and help the IT noobs from getting too hurt.

The world needs a better mail solution, where the users can create multiple security tokens and register with the hardware they want to associate with their mail account - and where the user can decide exactly what each security token will allow - or how long it should be valid.

Maybe i'm being too cynical but you seem to have a lot more faith in google being for 'good' than me. Perhaps i need to move to a less intrusive provider in future but for now google's all i've got and its beginning to hack me off! Any good ones out there?

24 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Maybe i'm being too cynical but you seem to have a lot more faith in google being for 'good' than me.

Not necessarily good. But they know how much support tickets they get from all the people who manage to lose access to their accounts every day.

Host a web site with a number of thousand members, and you will quickly notice the amount of problems some users can manage to get themselves into. Scale that to many millions of users and it's quite obvious that Google needs to invest quite a lot of time into solutions that makes it harder for users to do stupid things - even if it means a number of skilled users might be irritated.

Quite a lot of people never write down their passwords - they rely on the "forgotten password" mails every time they want to log into some service. So own the mail and you own just about every account that user has ever created. And if the user later figures out that their Google mail account was used to hack their ebay account, they will blame Google for their own stupidity.