USB failure?

Yesterday I got a call from my girlfriend that our Apple TV couldn't connect to Plex. I immediately tried to use my VPN to connect to the server in order to restart the Docker. But I couldn't connect and called her to try to login to the server from home, which was also not possible. I explained her to reboot the whole thing. But neither one of us was able to connect (Array and dockers start automatically).

When I got home I plugged in a monitor in order to see the problem. There was no bootable drive detected, so I tried the USB on two other MacBooks and a Windows laptop. All of them weren't able to recognize the drive. So I immediately ordered two replacements (to be sure in the future). The Sandisk Cruzer fit was only 2 years old.

Can anyone help me if I'm right about the following steps?

1. Install a clean unRaid on the usb;
  2. Find the GUID in unRaid trial and ask for a replacement key;
  3. Assign the drive;
  4. Do I need to remake the shares or will Unraid detect them?
  5. What about dockers?
    1. I found on this forum that I need to reinstall them?
    2. Is the template saved or do I need to setup all the dockers settings from scratch? (I know the config file is saved on the cache drive, so the docker itself will be intact)
  6. Same questions about the plugins?
  7. What about the settings in unRaid? Are they saved or not?
  8. Other things?

Is there a script or anything else to (automatically) duplicate the USB (with the help of unassigned devices)? And if I do this (manually if no script available), will I be able to replace the drive and go further without interruption after I took the steps to migrate the key (like I found on other posts) when this problem will happen again in the future?

Thanks in advance (and sorry if some terminology is wrong, my server is down atm)

You can download a backup of the flash drive by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Device Settings - Flash backup.

Your docker appdata, for example, is typically stored on a disk, usually cache. However, all of the settings you made in the unRAID webUI, including any container settings, are stored on flash. So, you will pretty much have to set everything up again. If you can setup a container exactly as before so that it points to its previous appdata then the application should pick right up where it left off.

More importantly, your disk assignments are stored on flash. You will have to assign them yourself exactly as before. Do you know which disk belongs in which slot? It is especially important that you don't accidentally assign a data disk to the parity slot or it will be overwritten with parity. If you need any help with this when you get your replacement flash booted up let us know. 

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can download a backup of the flash drive by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Device Settings - Flash backup.

Your docker appdata, for example, is typically stored on a disk, usually cache. However, all of the settings you made in the unRAID webUI, including any container settings, are stored on flash. So, you will pretty much have to set everything up again. If you can setup a container exactly as before so that it points to its previous appdata then the application should pick right up where it left off.

More importantly, your disk assignments are stored on flash. You will have to assign them yourself exactly as before. Do you know which disk belongs in which slot? It is especially important that you don't accidentally assign a data disk to the parity slot or it will be overwritten with parity. If you need any help with this when you get your replacement flash booted up let us know. 

Thanks, and that backup can simply be copied to a spare flash?

My mistake, I ment that the appdata is stored on the cache drive, not flash. But the template (and therefore the container settings) is stored on the flash if I understand you correctly, thats why I need to set them up again.

I'm not using a parity drive, I'm using a cloud backup solution for the data drives. So I can conclude that it's not that important to assign the drives to the correct slot?

47 minutes ago, JeffreyVrancken said:

it's not that important to assign the drives to the correct slot?

Depends on whether or not you have anything that references specific disks. I always recommend people only refer to user shares and let unRAID worry about the disks.

Archived