Parity check just found 12 errors

Slimer

I'm also getting a warning about program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO. The log also says Buffer I/O error on dev sdj, logical block 860480447, lost async page write. sdj is not in the array, it's one of the disks I'm pre-clearing for an update. I guess that explains why it dropped off the pre-clear list early; it must have failed. Bought 3 WD Red Pro 8TB, one was DOA and another failed a temperature check and died. It won't run any SMART tests.

terrabyteme-diagnostics-20180510-1208.zip

6 minutes ago, Slimer said:

it must have failed

More likely it dropped offline, SASLP controllers tend to do that.

As for the sync errors start by running memtest, and make sure your RAM is not overclocked, Ryzen CPUs appear to be susceptible to errors if overclocking.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

More likely it dropped offline, SASLP controllers tend to do that.

As for the sync errors start by running memtest, and make sure your RAM is not overclocked, Ryzen CPUs appear to be susceptible to errors if overclocking.

Thanks, but I've run a few parity checks on the new build and it has never had errors. I checked the SMART warnings on the drive that overheated and dropped out and it had a couple of cautions, one on reallocated sector count. I pulled the drive to put in my PC, so I can test it more. It's busily failing the SMART short test ATM. It is going to time out. The drive has a bad vibration, as well as the heat issues. A little concerning that two out of three drives failed out of the box. Based on the symptoms I'd say it was a handling issue.

I'll check the memory before I rebuild the parity drive, but I don't think it's an issue.

Thanks

Archived