Unraid Server 1 Drive Unmountable No File System

Splatman2

Went to play a movie on my media player to find that I couldn't find source of my Unraid server. I tried a couple times to to list my movie files but nothing. So I when to my laptop computer and pulled up the server to find the my number 8 drive was not mounted and said Unmountable No File System. I'm not sure when this happen as I have not played a movie from it in some time. 

I google searched it and found some thread hear with the same problem. I read through them and even tried there solutions without success. 

I tried clicking on the drive once in maintenance mode and tried using the ( Check Filesystem Status) which really seemed to be the same thing and finished with the same error at the bottom.

xfs_repair: phase6.c:1308: longform_dir2_rebuild: Assertion `done' failed.

Any help anyone can offer would be great.

Thank you,

r2d2-diagnostics-20180520-1846.zip

1 minute ago, Splatman2 said:

Do I have it set correctly PWM? Thanks

You should not just notify in the web browser.

Configure and turn on email notifications or possibly make use of some suitable agent that can push to your phone.

You want to get notifications from the system without first having to actively log in and look at the system - it's important that you can take quick actions if you get problems with a disk. If you have one parity drive, then unRAID can only recover from one broken disk. With two parity drives it can only recover from two broken disks. This means you don't want the system to run with emulated disks for any longer time.

Format that disk and restore from backups or ask for help on the xfs mailing list, recently a user was able to fix a filesystem following the instructions from a maintainer on the list by using an older version of xfs_repair because of a bug on the newer ones.

Interesting file system - it looks like the start of the partition is completely zeroed for some reason.

My guess is that the following is a printout of how many inodes the file system expects and how many it can actually find - a loss of 2250 entries:

sb_icount 27328, counted 25088

6 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Format that disk and restore from backups or ask for help on the xfs mailing list, recently a user was able to fix a filesystem following the instructions from a maintainer on the list by using an older version of xfs_repair because of a bug on the newer ones.

Format that disk and restore from backups.

When you say that are you saying to use the parity to rebuild that disk?

20 minutes ago, Splatman2 said:

Format that disk and restore from backups.

When you say that are you saying to use the parity to rebuild that disk?

The parity can't repair broken file systems. The parity operates on disk level, and can be used to restore a disk image to the state it had at the last parity update.

But if some software or hardware failure results in bad data being written to a data disk then the bad data will be mirrored to the parity disk so the system will restore the same broken file system.

That's why parity isn't a replacement for backup - it's just a way to improve the availability.

But file deletions or overwrites or raw disk writes will also update the parity - the parity logic can't separate intended file system changes from unintended.

If you do not have any backup of the affected data, then you either need to check for recovery software that can scan the disk for file information that may be read out. Or you need to figure out if there exists any better software (or manual help) that can manage to repair more of the broken file system.

Archived