Jump to content

Extremely slow Parity sync


Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone so I was working on upgrading my parity drives so that I could increase the storage capacity for my server and upon replacing  one of the parity drives the sync is stating that it is going to take over 20 days running at about 1 mb/s 

Since I generally only turn the system on when I use it and It would definitely be most preferable to not leave it running for 20 days.  Searching many threads with similar issues I have tried connecting the drive directly to the motherboard via sata and that did not affect the speed at all.  I have attached the diagnostics file for the server.

Total size:    2 TB    
Elapsed time:    32 minutes    
Current position:    1.16 GB (0.1 %)    
Estimated speed:    1.1 MB/sec    
Estimated finish:    21 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes

The system specs are
Model: Custom
M/B: Supermicro - X8SIA
CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU X3430 @ 2.40GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Disabled
Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB
Memory: 16 GB Single-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 24 GB)
Network: bond0: load balancing (xor), mtu 1500 
 eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth1: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth2: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth3: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth4: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth5: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 4.14.40-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.2o

Controller: IBM ServeRaid M1015 46M0861 SAS/SATA PCI-e RAID Controller LSI SAS9220-8i Connected to Supermicro 16 bay hotswap

Any information is greatly appreciated



Link to comment
19 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Something is writing to disk8, that will severely slow down the parity sync.

Hey Johnnie so I shutdown all my machines that may have been connected to it so the only machine running would be the server and let it run all night and day today with no visible performance increase.  I have re-run the diagnostics as well to see if maybe there is something else that could jump out now that it has been running for an additional 20 hours.

I'm open to trying many different things and considering backing up everything and then just rebuilding an entirely new array as that could possibly be quicker if this doesn't pick up some speed soon

Thanks again!



Link to comment

Update: It seems that I had a gitlab docker running (set to autostart for some reason)  I have disabled that to see if there is any performance gain.  Ill update again in a few hours to see if that might have been the cause of the slowness


Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

So after much trouble I seemed to get it to go at a reasonable speed.  I ended up deleting the entire array wiping all of the disks then building the parity with just the 2 parity disks and a single data disk which only took about an hour and a half.  Once that was done I went and added all of the rest of the disks which is taking about 3..5 hours to process.

Not sure why this is the case but at least it seemed to resolve the issue for now

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...