Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Troubleshooting

teamhood

Hey all,

I just purchased a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 with two forward breakout cables. I added all 8 hard drives and everything was discovered, minus one of the hard drives. I moved the trouble SATA connection from the breakout cable to another hard drive to see if it was the cable, or in fact a bad hard drive. It appears the problem moved with the breakout cables SATA connection... So I assume that one of the leads on the breakout cable that was sent to me is bad, but could it possibly be the card?

Has anyone else found any problems with their cards and/or breakout cables? I guess I will give the array a power down and swap the breakout cables to see if the problem moves from SAS connection to the next...

Well, to check if it is the cable or the card, mark the bad point and then completely swap the cables on the card. If the same SATA port is not working, its the cable, if it stays on the one side that it was on before, its the card.

Yup, it's the cable... I hate when things are not working!!

Buy.com is terrible with customer service... I hate when NewEgg doesn't have the products I need. I started my career in customer support and have great success as I've had the same job way back when, but Buy.com is just awful.

It really annoys me when a company won't pay for shipping of the new order for the same product that they sent out defective... I just won't agree with that and will keep asking for a supervisor until I reach one that cares.

I concur.  I have bought from them on/off for 10 yrs.  On more than one occasion, I've vowed to never buy from them again, but always get suckered back in with a deal.  One thing lately I have started doing is buying from them "through" Amazon.  Search the product on Amazon and many times buy.com will show up as an available purchase option.  This should then allow the fantastic return policy of Amazon to apply..  (i think)..

Buy.com is terrible with customer service...

Archived