LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

No write access to public share

rbroberts

After a failed drive, I decided to migrate everything to a new set of larger drives. So, at this point, I've stuffed everything onto a single 10 TB drive with one parity drive. I've run "Fix Common Problems", I've run "Docker Safe New Perms" and I have no idea what's going on. I've turned on SMB1 in Windows 10 to reinstate the ability to browse and see the unraid server.

I have several shares exported via samba as public. I can browse them all, I can't write to any of them. I have no idea what to try next. Any suggestions?

After a failed drive, I decided to migrate everything to a new set of larger drives. So, at this point, I've stuffed everything onto a single 10 TB drive with one parity drive. I've run "Fix Common Problems", I've run "Docker Safe New Perms" and I have no idea what's going on. I've turned on SMB1 in Windows 10 to reinstate the ability to browse and see the unraid server.  

I have several shares exported via samba as public. I can browse them all, I can't write to any of them. I have no idea what to try next. Any suggestions?

I recall seeing a Samba network issue particular to Windows 10 here in the forums. Do a search specific to Win 10. You should find it. I don’t use Windows. I am a Mac user and had a similar issue but that had to do with user permissions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only Windows 10 issue I've been able to find was the need to specifically enable SMB1 in order to reinstate the ability to see the unraid server in windows explorer in the network. I did that, so I can browse and see the shares, browse into them, I just can't create new files or directories.

Interestingly, I can edit existing files. 

The only Windows 10 issue I've been able to find was the need to specifically enable SMB1 in order to reinstate the ability to see the unraid server in windows explorer in the network. I did that, so I can browse and see the shares, browse into them, I just can't create new files or directories.  

Interestingly, I can edit existing files. 

Have you tried logging out and in again? Or rebooting? I thought the Win 10 thing had something to do with not having multiple Samba logins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Open up the Terminal from the GUI.

Enter the following command

ls -al /mnt 

The owner and group should be  nobody and users except for the directories name  ./  and ../  

Now enter the following comand

ls -al /mnt/user

The owner and group should be nobody and users  except for the directory  ../  

Let us know if this is the case.  I suspect it will be but it always best to double check.

Are you accessing the server as any other user?  Is there another user assigned on the server with a name in common with one that is used on this PC?  

Okay...

So I had a directory that had permissions 755. I manually set the via chmod 777 /mnt/user/Scans. Then I tried, from Windows, to create a file there. It worked which surprised me. It's a public share via SMB (and only exported via SMB, no AFP, no NFS).

Then I checked another share with the same configuration and correct permissions. I get an error claiming there is no space on the share; I've interpreted that as a permission issue. I get the same error from every other share I've tried, all configured the same.

9 hours ago, rbroberts said:

So I had a directory that had permissions 755.

I don't know how much you understand about Linux (and I am no expert- just dangerous), but read this about permissions on directories:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_permissions_and_attributes#Viewing_permissions

You should looking at the large table.  Read what is says about the 'write bit' for directories.  (If that bit is not set makes the permissions a '5' rather than as '7'.)   I believe this applies to files within that directory even if file permissions are set 777.   (I am am not sure quite what the Docker safe new permissions actually does besides 'fixing' the owner and group names for directories. i.e., Does it fix the directory permissions or not?) 

With SMBv1 off, can you access the server by typing \\tower in Windows Explorer?   If you can, create shortcuts to all of your computer/servers on your desktop that have SMB shares on them.  Then move these into a folder that you name which indicates its contents.  i.e., 'Network View' and pick a new icon that you will instantly recognize as  being your Network shares.  I did this a while back when I was having some issues.  I have a feeling that more and more folks are going to have to resort to something like this.  (MS is determined to get rid of SMBv1 and it may become a wack-a-mole situation to keep it active.)  This what mine looks like:

Capture.JPG.c17ede1888a45bcbd8dc458bbfd78ac8.JPG

So, I've given up on "fixing" the public shares by ordinary means. What seems to work is renaming them, creating a new share with old name, then copying everything to the new share (directly via rsync). I can't see any reason why this should work, but I'm past caring about the why ?

Archived