Gateway to Gateway VPN

vexhold

I am trying to connect two networks at two different locations via VPN. I have been trying to find the best way of doing this, but am very confused at this point.

Things I have taken into account:

I have a RVS4000 Gigabit VPN router at my side. Other side has nothing as far as hardware... yet.

I have contacted Comcast and they allow VPN's but all VPN traffic counts against my 250GB data cap.

Comcast's Home service does not let me get any static IP's.

Comast Business Class is a possible option (higher data cap and static IP's)

I have looked into Hamachi, but dont think this would be a viable data tranfer/Backup solution.

Do not know much about OpenVPN.

Solution needs to be an always on connection (rock solid)where, every machine in both networks can see every other machine on all networks.

Main use will be transfering Backups between two unRAID servers, but there will also be times when it is needed to RDP, file sharing, and other meanial tasks.

Security should be kept in mind.

Is anyone else doing something similar to this that could shed a little light my way? I would greatly appreciate it.

Didn't think I'd get too many bites on this topic, but had to try. I have been talking with a friend and I think I'm going to give Sonicwall a go. I know we used it for our VPN tunneling at one of my past jobs from our Main Office, to our showrroms nationwide, so I think it should work well.

Let me know if others are interested in my results, and Ill post them.

From what it looks like, OpenVPN is only a Server/Client system. Im not sure if this can be used as an always on point to point connection between 2 networks.

Edit: I take that back, I see a document explaining the configuration of a point to point connection.

So to do this, I would need an Open VPN server on each side?

Sorry that is true, it is Microsoft ISA Server that allows for site to site VPN with firewall using IPsec tunnel. Another option would be a linux based solution using OpenVPN which supports server or client VPN. If you download untangled which is prebuild firewall/gateway/VPN solution.

I have an opportunity to buy 3 WRT54G-TM's with DD-WRT Mega pre-flashed on them for about 40 bucks each. DD-WRT Mega has built in OpenVPN, so I am going to try that first and check out bandwidth, if Im not satisfied, Ill try some Sonicwall firewall VPN appliances.

Thanks guys, I'll post my progress as I go.

Archived