Remote backup to unRaid server?

teamhood

So, reading lovingHDTV's post in the user customization really had me thinking.

would it be possible to set something up at my parents and sisters house that they could backup their family photos to my unRaid server? I started thinking of different options... but I started to hurt myself  ::) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a simple solution or if anyone else has tried to implement something? I am sure I could do a FTP server, but that is a bit extremer for moderate computer users.

What I would love.. is if I could setup MirrorFolder on their computers and somehow have automatic backups upload to my PC at home, which I could backup myself using Mirrorfolder to the server... I know it seems strange, but just wondering if something like this is possible?

Thank you,

Mike

Assuming this is a one-time backup, try one of the free online backups, go up from their house to the online site, then pull it back down to the Unraid.

OTOH, photos don't take up much space and drives are cheap, so why don't they have their own backup?  Pushing backup traffic via cable or DSL seems like a bad idea.

Bill

Well,

My parents are older and really could careless about computers and backup. I do care about their photos because they don't know how pissed off they would be if the were all lost. They do a lot of traveling and have some really great photos that I want to make sure get backed up. Of course, when ever I head to their house I burn a DVD backup for them, but I was hoping that there would be some easy way to have them connect to my computer and just upload them and I can deal with it.

I am looking as maybe doing VPN and have a network drive mapped there... I am just trying to find the easiest way for them...  and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience.

I did find a program that might be a decent candidate: easy File Sharing Web Server

I am going to give it a try and I will let you all know how it works.

How about just getting them one of those one-touch USB backup drive?

I've found keeping things simple to work much better in the long run unless there are added functionalities that you're after from maintaining unraid-parents connection, such as if you sometimes need access to their data (printing out their photos from them, making gifts from their photos, etc) or if you want to share something of yours through that connection.

My $0.02

• 3 weeks later...

So, reading lovingHDTV's post in the user customization really had me thinking.

would it be possible to set something up at my parents and sisters house that they could backup their family photos to my unRaid server? I started thinking of different options... but I started to hurt myself  ::) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a simple solution or if anyone else has tried to implement something? I am sure I could do a FTP server, but that is a bit extremer for moderate computer users.

What I would love.. is if I could setup MirrorFolder on their computers and somehow have automatic backups upload to my PC at home, which I could backup myself using Mirrorfolder to the server... I know it seems strange, but just wondering if something like this is possible?

Thank you,

Mike

I wanted to backup my UnRaid machine to my brothers server for off site.  He runs BackupPC to back up all his computers at home, so we just added my UnRaid as another client on his backup machine.  It uses rsync to handle all the backup needs on my UnRaid, but on his local network he backups a Linux box and two XP boxes.  It may be possible to get working for you.  I also am looking into this for my parents as they do no backups at all.  I'll update if I get something working.

BackupPC is a nice app, freeware, but I believe it needs to run under Linux, not positive about that though.

Archived