LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Temperature shows as asterisk

SphericalRedundancy

The disk recently spun up and temperature wasn't updated yet, by default temps are polled every 30 minutes (1800 secs), which IMO is too much, decrease this to a couple of minutes or so, but not much lower or it can impact performance.

Settings -> Disk Settings -> Tunable (poll_attributes)

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

The disk recently spun up and temperature wasn't updated yet, by default temps are polled every 30 minutes (1800 secs), which IMO is too much, decrease this to a couple of minutes or so, but not much lower or it can impact performance.

Yes 30 min is definitely way too low. A HDD has significant changes in minutes, and a SSD could potentially be even quicker to change temperature because of the lack of thermal mass.

I quick-checked a Ironwolf-log. SMART claims on one place that the temperature sampling period is 3 minutes and the logging interval is 59 minutes. But when I do look at the temperature log, the recent entries are very minute and the older history entries are every 59 minutes. And I can see at least 4-5°C ramp-up or ramp-down between the single-minute readings. If a fan would fail during a hard-load period, then the drives could go really toasty with a 30 minute sampling interval.

Archived