Disk Logs?

Ducky

Hiya,

I wondered if there was anyway to see what is writing/reading to the hard drives?  Each night my disk 4 runs out of space (and then frees up again) and has almost as many writes as my parity disks.  The data stored on it is only things like ISO's and some software, none of which is in use, so I'm not sure what's doing it....

image.thumb.png.f8ba1ffb0aef5faae591d5208e27342e.png

thx

:)

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Each night my disk 4 runs out of space

This is why I wanted to see the diagnostics, so I could help him figure out how to get these writes to go to a different disk.

Take a look at the Minimum Free setting. You must set the Minimum Free for each user share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to it. unRAID has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses the disk to write.  If a disk has less than Minimum Free, unRAID will choose a different disk. If it has more than Minimum Free, it can choose the disk and if the file is too large you will get out of space errors.

There is also a Minimum Free setting for cache in Global Share Settings.

Thanks for the info, I've installed the file activity plugin to see if it catches anything.

Currently there is 241GB free on disk 4, but I'm not writing anything like that large (not even writing), I wonder if it's a moving process or something ,as it happened from 4am to 5am this morning.  I'll see if it does the same again today and go from there.

Thx for the responses so far chaps.

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I wonder if it's a moving process or something ,as it happened from 4am to 5am this morning

Mover default schedule is to move cache-yes shares from cache to array (and also move cache-prefer shares from array to cache if there are any) during that time frame. Do you have a cache disk?

Quick update:

^^^ I do have a cache disk.

I'm using Resilo Sync, and this appears to be one of the culprits, it looks to be doing some sort of check constantly against disk 4 - so I've disabled it for now.  Also for some odd reason a disk image for a VM I'd previously deleted was still being created (or something like that) on the disk between 4am-5am, which is why it would suddenly run out of space (I think the disk was 1TB).  Not quite sure why that was happening, when I'd already deleted the VM from the main screen.

I'll keep checking it and see if anything reoccurs.

thx chaps

51 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Quick update:

^^^ I do have a cache disk.

I'm using Resilo Sync, and this appears to be one of the culprits, it looks to be doing some sort of check constantly against disk 4 - so I've disabled it for now.  Also for some odd reason a disk image for a VM I'd previously deleted was still being created (or something like that) on the disk between 4am-5am, which is why it would suddenly run out of space (I think the disk was 1TB).  Not quite sure why that was happening, when I'd already deleted the VM from the main screen.

I'll keep checking it and see if anything reoccurs.

thx chaps

It might be worth checking on the cache disk that you do not still have the vdisk file for the deleted VM?     Just because the V’m is no longer showing in the unRAID GUI does not mean the underlying file are necessarily gone - in fact the behaviour you describe means it could well still be on the cache drive and it is mover kicking in during the early hours of the morning that is causing the file to be recreated on disk4.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

It might be worth checking on the cache disk that you do not still have the vdisk file for the deleted VM?     Just because the V’m is no longer showing in the unRAID GUI does not mean the underlying file are necessarily gone - in fact the behaviour you describe means it could well still be on the cache drive and it is mover kicking in during the early hours of the morning that is causing the file to be recreated on disk4.

That's a blooming good point...but there isn't anything on the cache disk, however there may have been previously, and as you mention this would explain the behaviour!

Quick update, I've re-enabled Sync and I'm not seeing the issues, so I think most likely it was like 'itimpi' had suggested, and there was a large file in the cache drive which the mover was trying to copy back every morning.

Since I deleted the vm file I've not had the problem. :D

Edited by Ducky