Back up to External HDD on plug in?

Hey guys, new here. So I've just recently put together my server that I use as a way to move move data and have a media server for the family. I've got no linux experience and very little command line experience. 

I know I can use Unassigned Devices to run a script that will automatically back up what I desire to an external HDD (Most for appdata and some other important data), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it! I need a very noob friendly step by step guide or maybe someone can just point me in the right direction? I've found a couple scripts on here, but I don't know how to implement them at all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you look at the examples in the UD support thread? 

Yes! There's a script for it on the front page but I can't figure out how much of it I'm supposed to change in order to get it to back up the couple shares I've got, and then a specific folder inside a share and not the whole share.

Edit: I could maybe figure it out, but I don't want to accidentally curropt any of my devices and I don't have the extra resources incase I mess anything up

Edited by averageafro