pfSense VM Doesn't Show Host Machine's IP

voicelex

Howdy,

I'm working on setting up pfSense as a VM on my server with a dedicated quad-port NIC as the WAN in and LAN out. I am able to connect to the server via it's assigned IP and it has internet access, however, it is not showing under the list of DHCP leases in the pfSense webGUI. I want to be sure that the server is behind the pfSense VM so that I might control my entire network - especially the unRAID box. 

network.png.528f1861e76a3ba013c08f6a2c342d1c.png

Here's a visualization of my setup. I have the quad-nic that the VM is using removed from unRAID via the "append vfio-pci.ids=xxxxx" statement both in OS and OS GUI mode. I've changed the Network Settings to disable Bonding & Bridging. All dockers are running in Bridge mode (they don't seem to work in host mode - could someone explain the difference?) except Plex which is in host mode and is working fine LAN access. I've also noticed that although deluge is working, Radarr is not - the webGUI will load but it seems to have no WAN access.

Thanks for any advice, please let me know if I can provide more information.

Wow, so strange! I tried manually mapping the static IP even though the device wasn't listed in the DHCP leases and it worked! It shows as online and now my misbehaving dockers are working.

Anyone know why that is and is there a way to be sure that all my unRAID server traffic is going through pfSense rather than being bridged from the WAN plugged into the quad NIC (that pfsense is setup to use)?