Adding cache-drive to pool. Updating RAID to JBOD doesn't work.

Blaze9

Hi all,

I have a 250GB SSD, and I wanted to add a new 1TB SSD to my cache. I added it as a second drive, and as default it put them in RAID1 and total storage is 250GB. I read up on the options to change this, and I changed the balance to 

-dconvert=single -mconvert=raid1

This just refreshes the page, without any changes. System logs say "Sep 23 14:20:03 Mk4Alpha kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1): balance: invalid convert metadata profile raid1"

I then tried 

-dconvert=single -mconvert=single

which does start balancing. After the balance was complete it still shows 250GB and still says "no balance found on /mnt/cache". If I start the same option it again it goes through and starts balancing and still ends up with 250GB...

How can I go about adding the two drives and keeping total storage (1.25TB)

Thanks!!

Ah I ran it again and started checking logs deeper. I get this error and it cancels out:

Sep 23 14:46:51 Mk4Alpha kernel: BTRFS warning (device sdh1): csum failed root -9 ino 348 off 217550848 csum 0xcd2d3921 expected csum 0xee1492b6 mirror 1
Sep 23 14:46:51 Mk4Alpha kernel: BTRFS warning (device sdh1): csum failed root -9 ino 348 off 217550848 csum 0xcd2d3921 expected csum 0xee1492b6 mirror 1

Running an error correcting scrub now, and will see what happens if I try the jbod option again.

Edit:

Ran it, and it came back with 1 uncorrectable error.. Not sure how to proceed from here.

Edit2:

Found the file:

dmesg| grep "BTRFS"

And it was just an iso so I deleted it and running another scrub now.

Edit 3: Scrub completed, doing balance again using "single" as both options.

balance finished, and just went back to saying no balance on /mnt/cache with pool still showing 250GB...

Data, single: total=125.00GiB, used=123.05GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=1.00GiB, used=703.72MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=187.84MiB, used=0.00B

13 hours ago, Blaze9 said:

Ran it, and it came back with 1 uncorrectable error.. Not sure how to proceed from here.

A single profile pool can't fix errors, replace or delete the affected file or if it's metadata corruption re-format the pool.

Also, If you want to use single profile leave metadata raid1 (-mconvert=raid1) for redundancy, if you get an error converting like you were getting in the 1st post  it's likely copy/paste related, sometimes pasting from the forum adds extra character, just type the commands.

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

A single profile pool can't fix errors, replace or delete the affected file or if it's metadata corruption re-format the pool.

Also, If you want to use single profile leave metadata raid1 (-mconvert=raid1) for redundancy, if you get an error converting like you were getting in the 1st post  it's likely copy/paste related, sometimes pasting from the forum adds extra character, just type the commands.

I appreciate the help man, thanks. I already fixed the first part of the issue, I removed the file with the issue, and the next scrub came back good/clean. I'm able to watch the progress of the actual balance, it goes all the way down to 1% left, and then just goes back to saying no balance present and 250GB still as my max capacity.

Archived