Failing Parity drive?

samtrois

Got a replacement. Short/long test also failure in short time.

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: unknown failure    90%      2410         0
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: unknown failure    90%      2410         0
# 3  Short offline       Completed: unknown failure    90%      2410         0
# 4  Short offline       Completed: unknown failure    90%      2410         0
# 5  Extended offline    Completed: unknown failure    90%      2409         0
# 6  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       494         -

• 1 month later...

I am resurrecting this post as I am still having troubles with this drive (purchased 5 months ago).

This drive used to be my parity drive, so the first thing I did was purchase another drive to replace it, and this has since been part of my array. It works fine for a time, then similar SMART warnings start to appear, and occasionally unRaid will crash/hang, and when I reboot the drive isn't showing up. 

This has happened several times, but it always seems to be alright with a rebuild, so i thought the problem was faulty power splitter cables or SATA cables. it's not powered from its own cable from the PSU, and have tried on both HBA cables and now it runs straight from the mobo SATA. So it happened again over the weekend, and I thought I may as well just try and return it. But low and behold, when plugged into their tester as a 'fresh' drive it passes the SMART test with flying colours. They offered to have it sent back to WD, but that could take up to 2 weeks, and I don't think I can wait that long. 

The "SMART Overall-health: FAILED " and unRaid hasn't been able to complete a SMART health-test for a while (and won't actually log the error reason?) 

What recourse do I have here, or how can i encourage this drive to fail properly. 

Image_110614.png

Image_110538.png

Image_110442.png

BTW, it is the same drive "R6H1LS5Y", the issue was weak sector problem, that's why you got below founding again and again.

1 hour ago, samtrois said:

This has happened several times, but it always seems to be alright with a rebuild

But I don't agree below, it is impossible insert the disk to another machine then all SMART resume normal ( from your pic, also no show any test have pass too )

when plugged into their tester as a 'fresh' drive it passes the SMART test with flying colours.

You really have 2 option, replacement and wait for 2 weeks ( perfer as have warranty ). Another option was perform secure erase for whole disk, the purpose was let disk itself "mask" those weak sector, I have several those disk ( already no warranty ) which is the only way could fix and use again.

But perform secure erase need under command line and skill, you may make mistake and got trouble if you haven't those experience. So I don't recommend this way.

They offered to have it sent back to WD, but that could take up to 2 weeks, and I don't think I can wait that long. 

Edited by Benson