Creating and Starting Win10 VM doesnt start it; No image on Monitor

Bytales

Im planing to get something like this

71SOFiuDxML._SL1500_.jpg

and insert something like this

61lVAC4bTjL._SL1100_.jpg

This has a HDMI and 2 USB slots, so i could conenct a mouse and keyboard, that i could thus use exclusivly for managing UNRAID.

Will this be seen as a graphics adapter ?

I have a spare 750ti since like forever, going to install it, and see how the system behaves. I would rather have the above components, since they will be located on the outside, and will allow me through the ports to controll the unraid consolle, without needing to use the mouse and keyboards assigned to the VM.

Curious, how the system doesnt take the onboard video as it should. If there was a way to bind Unraid to use the onboard graphics, by specifing exactly to use the onboard card, it would be much easier.

I think you should create this option for future versions.

Installing a Geforce 750 titanium make the First Frontier Card, still sit at the  second place, and when botting up unraid, i still get text scrolling on the Monitor connected to this card. It seems unraid is hell bent in using it for himself. Ill try ACS ovveride perhaps theyere going to be arranged differently.

unknown.png

12 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Pretty sure this is all managed by the BIOS, I don't think there is much that can be done in software.

Poke around in your BIOS, look through EVERY SINGLE option even if it doesn't seem to be related and see if there is some mention of primary graphics.

Updates.

There is an option in the bios, called, Legacy VGA, but its empty. THis is on the latest Bio F10.

Lucky i can update the bios through the IPMI, so i went to F06 i had before unraid.

With F06, the Option of "Legacy VGA" is not empty any more, and i can change to auto, onboard, external, and when external, i need to input slot.

I tried with onboard. Text still scrolls on the monitor connected to the Upper Frontier on the 5th PCI Slot.

I tried with External, and set it to slot 3, where the Geforce 750 titanium sits.

Text still scrolls on the Upper Frontier Card.

As long as text scrolls on this card, i cant use it for the VM.

Making a VM with the other card, or evne with the geforce 750titanium card, works.

But so long as the Upper Frontier card is selected for the VM, it just doesnt work.

unknown.png

Bios F09 and F10, the "Legacy VGA Option is empty".

F06 is not empty.

I can still try other Bioses. 

But it looks like Unraid is hell bent on taking this Frontier card for himself, no matter what.

ANd the problem is Slots 5 and 7 are the only slots where i can install the said cards. Unless i could somehow connect the frontier card to the upper PCI slots, through some sort of external enclosure.

I still need to see how Unraid reacts to having in the sistem, those usb graphic adapters.

Is there no way to force unraid by commad to use a certain Graphics Adapter ?

Only way i can trick Unraid not to use the card and have its boot text appear scrolling on the big tv (connected to either the geforce titanium or the onboard VGA) is by disconnecting the cable from the upper frontier card. But if i connect the cable afterwards, and create a VM with the Frontier card, im not getting any image afterwards. 

So it seems a cable must be connected to the Frontier card from the get go, which, if it happens prompts unraid to take the card for itself, then i cant use it for the VM.

What an utter shit !

According to the Manual

unknown.png

My Vega Cards are in slot PCIE_3(No.37) and PCIE_1(No.35).

Geforce Titanium is in slot PCIE_5(No.39)

So chosing "Legacy VGA" in Bios with external and Slot Number 3, would have chosen the Frontier Card. But i have tried again with slot number 5.

Same thing. Unraid is hell bent on Using the Cadin PCIE_3 as its own.

I dont think there can be a fix for this.

Its probably the way the Motherboard is created internaly, could that be it ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to make the text scroll on the tv, which is connected to the onboard VGA.

I used Bios Version F06, which is the last bios that has the ability to allow onboard VGA as enabled.

I also made the Unraid Memory stick by downloading the ISO, extracting it, and with the "make bootable bat" i made it bootable. I also enabled, boot mode Legacy in the Motherboard.

Previously, i had made the Unraid Memory stick with the Executable launcher that downloaded the iso, and i had always checked Bios UEFI. The Motherboard bios booting mode had also been set to UEFI.

However, i still couldnt get both machines to start.

Only one i could get it to boot the Windows ISO, the other one had no Image on the Monitor.

After that i played with ProxMox, and while attemtping to manually enable IOMMU and add a PCI device, i had notied the following:

unknown.png

Both my GPUs have the same device ID.

Could this be the reason why i cant get two different VMs to run, each getting one of These two VGA ?

I could get two VMs to boot, one with a VEGA Card, and one with the Geforce Titanium 750, and i assumed it was a matter of PCI express Placement. Which is why i got a PCI express extender, and tested with that as well. with the upper VEGA connected to the 4th PCI Slot instead of the 5th.

Because i noticed in the original LinusTechTips Video, he had two different GPUs, and mentioned different brands of mice and Keyboards.

Edited by Bytales