UnRAID as HTPC & Desktop

Hi, I'm just wondering, has anyone made a nice guide for using UnRAID as a HTPC? So for example, installing plex player, how to get a remote working with it ( I have harmony for example), that sort of thing.

Is it just a case of use a package manager like apt-get? is there a gui for it like Ubuntu?

Does it work very well as a basic desktop supporting multiple user accounts?

Or, alternatively to all that, can you just create a nice VM that does all that (say a windows 10 one) and get the console full screen all the time? Would that support 4K video playback?

Usually I think headless seems to be the major use case is all. Whereas I would like to use it with my big screen as I have a cupboard it can go into with all the AV gear which is hidden away so the noise of a dozen HDDs doesn't bother me.

Edited by dgwharrison

Unraid is basically a NAS and not a desktop system.   As such it does not support GUI based applications directly.

You can run a variety of apps as docker containers as long as they are suitable for running in the background and being administered via a browser.

You can also fun full fledged VMs and in that case the os you use is up to you.   However if you want to use a locally attached screen in conjunction with the VM you do need hardware that can support pass-through of the GPU to a VM.   This needs the appropriate virtualisation support on the motherboard and CPU.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought... I know I can pass through discrete graphics, but it seems to be shame that I can't use the capability I'm paying for anyway in the main board. It's a coffee lake Xeon E-2146G (which I won't receive for 2 weeks it's so new) and a Asus WS C246 Pro motherboard. Anyone know if it's possible to pass through the integrated graphics to a guest?