Bind unraid ports to specific IP address instead of all (0.0.0.0)

• 2 years later...

So, I followed the above

Yet I am still getting this

>sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN

nginx     24950  root    9u  IPv4    6995      0t0  TCP 192.168.1.240:80 (LISTEN)
nginx     24950  root   10u  IPv6    6996      0t0  TCP *:80 (LISTEN)
nginx     24951  root    9u  IPv4    6995      0t0  TCP 192.168.1.240:80 (LISTEN)
nginx     24951  root   10u  IPv6    6996      0t0  TCP *:80 (LISTEN)

Output of ident.cfg

cat /boot/config/ident.cfg

BIND_MGT="yes"
USE_TELNET="yes"
PORTTELNET="23"
USE_SSH="yes"
PORTSSH="22"
USE_UPNP="yes"
START_PAGE="Dashboard"

So the issue here is that nginx that serves the GUI (based in the PID) IS in fact bound to eth0 (technically br0) but the first interface [*.1.240].

but its still listening on all interfaces. Setting `BIND_MGMT=yes` only made it bind eth0 in addition to all interfaces [*] rather than instead of.

This server has 7 interfaces.  Its not worth the discussion of why, its how its made to some degree (5 on board, 2 10G). But I want one of those other interfaces, on a different subnet

What I want is to bind other http services to :80 and :443 on other interfaces, and on other subnets.

For instance- eth1/br1 on 192.168.1.241 should serve something internally to users- thats not the Unraid GUI.

and eth3/br3 should serve on the subnet 192.168.2.*:80 / *.2.*:443 to requests coming from the WAN.

3 hours ago, AndyT86 said:

Yet I am still getting this

It works as expected.

The IPv4 network is limited to interface eth0 (192.168.1.240) only, which is the management interface of Unraid.

There is no IPv6 address configured on your system, hence it listens to all.

3 hours ago, AndyT86 said:

What I want is to bind other http services to :80 and :443 on other interfaces, and on other subnets.

That is beyond the scope of Unraid, it doesn't manage other http services.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that. I thought it's a security feature and also useful if you want to bind 80/443 to a secondary IP of the primary interface for your own service like reverse proxy.

I applied the logic to the current version of /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx and it works well for myself. I just share it to my gist if someone finds it useful - https://gist.github.com/sjtuross/8b7e9d5762b92ca6459f447429c814a4

To persist the change on reboot, add a user script running at first array start.

#!/bin/bash
cp /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/support_bind_mgt/rc.nginx /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx
/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, sjtuross said:

I applied the logic to the current version of /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx and it works well for myself. I just share it to my gist if someone finds it useful - https://gist.github.com/sjtuross/8b7e9d5762b92ca6459f447429c814a4

To persist the change on reboot, add a user script running at first array start.

Does this still work in Unraid version 6.11.5?

I have tried using your gist file as is but receive the following error when restarting nginx:

bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx: cannot execute: required file not found

If I merge the missing BIND_MGT references into my existing rc.nginx config, I can restart nginx fine, but then lose complete access to the Unraid GUI on all interfaces.

Am I missing something?

rc.nginx

On 7/29/2023 at 2:49 PM, sjtuross said:

I updated the gist for 6.11.5 with very minor change. You can also compare it with the original file to see what's changed. It should work. This is no longer needed since 6.12 because management services listen on specific IP addresses by default.

I tried this as well but had no luck unfortunately.

I have since upgrade to 6.12.3. May I ask what you meant by 'Management services listen on specific IP addresses by default'?

I am hoping for a way to restrict management access to ETH0 interface only, and have docker, VMs etc accessible via ETH1.

Thanks for the info, though I'm not really sure this solves my problem.

As mentioned, I was hoping to restrict the Unraid Web Interface to ETH0 (and perhaps SSH etc), and have other services such as SMB only accessible on the ETH1 interface.

On my server these two interfaces connect to do different networks, ETH0 being on a restricted 'management' network, and ETH1 being on my 'home' network. I don't want people on the home network to be able to access the Unraid web interface or attempt SSH connections etc. This should only be possible from the management network.

Hope this makes sense?

On 8/3/2023 at 6:43 AM, leuwk88 said:

Thanks for the info, though I'm not really sure this solves my problem.

As mentioned, I was hoping to restrict the Unraid Web Interface to ETH0 (and perhaps SSH etc), and have other services such as SMB only accessible on the ETH1 interface.

On my server these two interfaces connect to do different networks, ETH0 being on a restricted 'management' network, and ETH1 being on my 'home' network. I don't want people on the home network to be able to access the Unraid web interface or attempt SSH connections etc. This should only be possible from the management network.

Hope this makes sense?

I don't think this is possible to config in unraid, but you could achieve that through firewall rule in your router.