NVMe cache drive on old motherboard

Mex

Hello,

I just discovered the marvel that is unRaid, and this is my first post. Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, difficult to find among so many threads.

I currently have unRaid running on a fairly recent Skylake machine (B150 + i3 6100) and I have it set up with a NVMe cache drive and six regular HDDs (one of those as parity).

Being a bit of a geek I recently ordered a Supermicro X8DTL-i board with dual Xeon E5645 cpus. This board obviously doesn't support booting of a NVMe drive, but I was wondering if it would still show up in unRaid, and still be usable as a cache disk if I used a PCIe adapter to connect the drive to the motherboard.

Furthermore, if it is detected by unRaid would it be possible to use it in a VM? 

Thanks for any clarification on this!

2 hours ago, Mex said:

This board obviously doesn't support booting of a NVMe drive, but I was wondering if it would still show up in unRaid, and still be usable as a cache disk if I used a PCIe adapter to connect the drive to the motherboard.

Yes, and it can be used in a VM for example to to store a vdisk, but if you intend to pass it thought see above.

Archived