unRaid not booting up

pingmanping

It is happening again. It started when the UI has stopped responding, but all the containers were working. I ssh to the server and issued a "powerdown -r", but nothing happened. I tried to the reboot command; again, nothing happened. 

I logged in to the ipmi and sent a reset. Now, the server is not booting up.  See screenshot for what I am getting.

unraid_not_booting.jpg

8 hours ago, John_M said:

It looks as though you've booted into an EFI shell. Your boot flash device might be corrupt. Shut down and unplug it. You can check it by plugging it into a PC and running the disk checking utility on it.

I plugged the USB flash drive to the front USB port and now the BIOS sees it as

UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1

However, when I tried to select this from the boot menu, it just loops back to the menu. Somehow, I could not boot from this flash drive.

Somehow my IPMI has stopped working and cannot do anything once I entered the BIOS or boot menu.

Anyways I changed the USB and installed the latest unRaid. I believe my copy is 6.5.3. 

I am able to boot to unRaid now; however, when I get to the dashboard, should I see my drives to be encrypted since I encrypted them before this issue?

In the Dashboard, it doesn't say they are encrypted and usually the PSK field is visible in the Main menu, but it is not there.

Also, the "Replace Key" is greyed out for me. This is my second time I am replacing a USB flash drive.

This is what I did so far:

Got a new flash drive

Installed the latest unRaid to the flash drive via the USB Creator

Copied the /config from the old flash drive to the new one

Boot from the new flash drive

UI shows my drives are not encrypted

UI shows no PSK field in the Main menu

Replace Key is greyed out and could not click it

Do I still have my data?

Would I still get a replacement key?

The version that I have on the new flash drive is 6.6.4 and my old one is 6.5.3, would this be a problem?

1 hour ago, pingmanping said:

Also, the "Replace Key" is greyed out for me. This is my second time I am replacing a USB flash drive.

By default you're not allowed to replace your USB flash device more than once a year. I suggest you contact Limetech directly and explain that you had to make a second replacement.

1 minute ago, John_M said:

By default you're not allowed to replace your USB flash device more than once a year. I suggest you contact Limetech directly and explain that you had to make a second replacement.

How do I contact Limetech directly?

When I clicked the link provided in the web UI Tools section, it brought me here.

I finally got my replacement key.

I have 6.6.3 on the new flash drive. After applying the new key, I am getting the encryption PSK now which is good; however, before my old flash drive hit the can, I had my cache drive encrypted. Now, my cache drive is not showing that it is encrypted and my hard drives have an orange open lock icons. Also, I am getting this error message:

All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started

Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 13.49.43.png

Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 14.06.58.png

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

This is referring to the Parity disk. Unless you check the box saying parity is already valid then parity will be rebuilt after a New Config.

What about my cache drive showing it is not encrypted?

Do I need to re-encrypt the cache drive?

I copied the config and syslinux folders from my backup back in July (can't remember if my cache drive was encrypted when I created this backup) to the new flash drive. All my latest flash backups are located in one of my Share folders.

17 minutes ago, pingmanping said:

All my latest flash backups are located in one of my Share folders.

Which you obviously can't access until you have a working flash. Not a good plan.

You can manually download a zipped backup of flash to your PC at any time from Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. You should take a new backup anytime you make any change in the webUI, but especially if you make any change to disk configuration.

I have CA Backup running nightly and backing flash up to an NTFS Unassigned Device, so if I ever need it, I can just plug it into a Windows computer.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Before starting the array click on cache and change the filesystem to correct encrypted one.

Got it.

I clicked the option "Parity is already valid" and started the array; however, it has been 5 minutes and the array is still starting. Usually, it doesn't take more than a minute for me to start the array, but this time it has been 5 minutes and at the bottom shows "Starting services"

It seems like it is stuck in "Starting services"

EDIT

Have to reboot via the IPMI and now it seems like I am able to build the array. However, the cache drive is in this state:

Unmountable: No file system (no btrfs devices) 

I tried to recover the data from my cache but getting this error when I try to mount it.

mount: /x: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'.

All my shares are gone. But it seems like I still have my data when I clicked on the folder icon in the Main page.

Is there a way for me to get back to the state where I have my unRaid before the old flash died?

Also, I am reformating the cache drive, but it seems like it is stuck in "formatting" state.

Archived