jmos1277 Posted September 16, 2010 Share Posted September 16, 2010 I have a very large library of DVDs that I recently started to rip and wanted to automate the process to make it go a bit faster. I decided to put together a batch file to help automate the process. I set up one of my machines as a headless rip server ... anytime I drop a DVD in the drive, the rip server automagically rips the disc and spits it back out again. I am currently ripping between 15-20 DVDs per night using this batch file. My batch file is currently configured to: - rip the main feature only (no compression or transcoding) - include all English audio tracks (5.1 and stereo if both are available), director commentaries, etc. - remove all other extras, menus, warnings, etc. - write the resulting rip to a .iso file Note that these settings can be modified in the .bat file =========================================== What is required: --------------------- 1) A copy of DVDFab. I'm using version 126.96.36.199 on Windows Vista. http://www.dvdfab.com/ 2) A copy of MakeMKV. I'm using version 1.5.8. I'm not currently using MakeMKV to output .mkv files. I am only using MakeMKV to get the volume name of the DVD. However, is one was so inclined, they could add a conversion from .iso to .mkv at the end of this batch file pretty easily. http://www.makemkv.com/ 3) A program called 'Default Programs Editor'. This program will allow you to specify any program/batch file you want as an AutoRun action. Windows Vista and Windows 7 won't allow 'untrusted' programs to be selected as AutoRun targets. The Default Programs Editor will allow you to make the batch file a 'trusted' program. http://defaultprogramseditor.com/ 4) My batch file, which is attached to this post. Remove the .txt extension and just keep the .bat extension. 5) Instructions on how to set everything up. They are included in the .bat file that is attached to this post. =========================================== Things to look out for: - Some older DVDs may have the same volume name, DVD_VIDEO. If you try to rip 2 discs with the same volume name to the same destination, DVDFab will prompt you to see if you want to overwrite the older DVD_VIDEO.iso file. If you're running headless, like me, I recommend setting up VNC on the rip-server so you can check in on things if a disc has been in there too long. - For some reason, there are a few disks here and there that hang during the .iso creation process. I never could figure out what the problem was for those discs. Instead, I do those manually. First, ripping to a VIDEO_TS folder using DVDFab and then creating the .iso file using a different program. I use AquaISO to generate my .iso files when creating them manually. - Some DVDs may have two versions of a film (i.e. theatrical and unrated versions). DVDFab tends to take the longer of the two when selecting the 'main feature'. In some cases you may need to manually rip these DVDs if DVDFab doesn't pick the right version of the film. I test each .iso file after the rip is complete. There are a few movies that I had to fix because the author of the disc didn't know what he/she was doing (yes, these were commercial DVDs). To test, I use VLC, start playing each disc, jump to various locations to in the movie, and jump the end to verify that the credits roll. I make sure that the correct sound is playing and that the subtitles are in place. Testing each .iso only takes about 10 seconds. After a .iso passes my tests, I rename it using a format suitable for scrapers (i.e. Black Hawk Down (2001) ). ------------------------------------------------------------- Examples of some of the DVDs I had problems with: ------------------------------------------------------------- 1) El Mariachi - The only English audio track on my version of the DVD was the director's commentary. The audio for the movie is in Spanish. Therefore, when I tested the disc, instead of getting Spanish audio with English subtitles, I heard the director. This disc required manual intervention. 2) The Firm - The author of this DVD didn't know what he was doing. The .IFO file correctly specified that the movie was in 16x9 format. However, all of the .VOB files were incorrectly specified as being 4x3. I guess component DVD players only look at the .IFO file for the aspect ratio so it display correctly when played on those. However, VLC seems to pull this info directly from each .VOB file. The result was a vertically stretched frame. I fixed this using some other programs which I will reserve for another post if anyone is interested. 3) One of my James Bond flicks had an issue similar to The Firm. However, only one of the .VOB files was incorrectly specified as being 4x3. The result was a movie that played properly through the first .VOB file and then became stretched when streaming from the second .VOB file (weird). I fixed this video by rewriting the headers in the broken .VOB file. Wife just made brownies ... will answer questions and post more later. DVDFabBatch.bat.txt Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.