[Solved] Help needed. Attempted data disk upgrade. All disks unassigned after reboot

davis999

Hi folks,

Really hoping someone here can help me out...

While attempting a data disk upgrade (upgrading a disk from 1TB to 8TB), I've run into an issue and i'm not really sure on the best course of action. I have an Unraid v6.5 box with dual parity box, 11 data disks and 2 small SSD cache drives. All i was wanting to do was upgrade one of my older data drives (1TB) to a new larger drive (8TB) and have the data rebuilt onto that newer drive.

I followed the directions here (for recent versions of unraid - not 4.7 instructions): https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

After rebooting, i logged into the unraid web interface and found that all of my drives were showing as unassigned. At that point i got a little worried. I decided to start setting up the assignments as they were before (using exact same slots for each drive). I assigned the two parity drives, and then as soon as i assigned the first data drive, i saw a notice beside parity drives stating they were going to be overwritten upon starting the array. Then my worry increased. :P And now here i am writing this post.

Not really sure how i should proceed from here. I grabbed a config/log dump using the diagnostics tools in unraid which is attached to this post. I have not rebooted since the first time. One path that comes to mind is i could power down the unraid box, put my old drive back in, start up unraid and reassign all drives, then start array with "Parity is already valid" checked. I assume that would get me back to where i was before, at which point i could try this all over again. My fear is that i will run into this same situation. I know another option is i could just assign all drives and just let it rebuild parity across all drives, but this just seems unnecessary and i'd like to avoid array being unprotected for that time period.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i should proceed? Is there something wrong with my unraid box that is causing all drives to show up unassigned after reboot? I do see some errors in syslog which i believe are related to preclear plugin, but wouldn't think that would interfere with drive assignment.

Appreciate any help. Thanks :)

chunk-diagnostics-20181127-1237.zip

• davis999 changed the title to Help needed. Attempted data disk upgrade. All disks unassigned after reboot
2 hours ago, davis999 said:

One path that comes to mind is i could power down the unraid box, put my old drive back in, start up unraid and reassign all drives, then start array with "Parity is already valid" checked. I assume that would get me back to where i was before

This is what I recommend, then upgrade to v6.6.5 and try to replace the disk again, if something happens grab the diags before rebooting.

Happy to report that this approach worked. I powered down, put old drive back in, started up array with 'parity is already valid' checked. That got me back to previous state. Then i updated to latest unraid (6.6.5) and did replacement procedure again. This time after powering up with new drive, my previous config was retained and i was able to mark new drive as replacement and start array with data re-build. All is well. Thanks again @johnnie.black.

• davis999 changed the title to [Solved] Help needed. Attempted data disk upgrade. All disks unassigned after reboot

Archived