usb 3 ports not working on back of motherboard

Hi there so this is the 2nd motherboard not to work for me. I own a asrock x299 mini itx motherboard. In a nutshell the usb 3 ports have stopped working. However the usb 3.1 connector and the usb 3 header for the case work fine. The odd thing is that if I plug a mouse in then I get the light on the bottom so I know there is power. Just no data. If I plug in a usb3 hard drive it powers up and then spins down. It happens weather Im running Windows, linux or in the bios. I have tried a bios update along with resetting the bios to defaults and that has made no effect. There is no sign of any hardware damage or anything broken. I'm very stumped and just wondering weather unraid is destroying my hardware or what. I don't understand how a £300 motherboard could fail a second time in a few months yet my old gigabyte motherboard works fine. Is it poor asrock quality or what?

On 12/2/2018 at 9:56 AM, Squid said:

Stuxnet not withstanding, my opinion is that software cannot damage hardware.

Agreed. Barring some sort of USB issue with that particular model of motherboard, my first guess would be some USB device you are using is killing ports. It is not unheard of for low quality USB devices to fail and take out ports. 

55 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

It is not unheard of for low quality USB devices to fail and take out ports

well the devices such as the mouse i have had since i had my 1st gen raspberry pi and has worked fine. same for the keybourd. there was nothing that self powered from the mains. i am going to return the motherboard to overclockers later this mouth and get a replacement. this is the 2nd motherboard to fail in some way. how can i prevent this. is asrock and bad brand? this is my parts list https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QgLy3b