Windows 10 VM crashes with high network/disk activity

I've been having an issue for a long time now where my Windows 10 VM will appear to crash after awhile. This seems to occur when there are periods of high network activity in the VM and/or disk reads from the array. Has anyone seen anything like this before and know what the root cause might be?

I use remote desktop to access the VM and when it "crashes" it appears as if it is still running but I cannot access it. At this time it will not shut down gracefully and I have to force stop and restart it.

Also, when it crashes I can tell that its not just a network issue, I've had it crash while in the middle of zipping a file and the temp file's modified date is the moment the VM crashed. This file will be locked for a few minutes afterwards.

Edited by johnsanc
  • 1 month later...

Just following up with this. The issue was in fact a networking issue. Under high network load the VirtIO Network Adapter would just become disabled with no way to re-enable unless the VM was restarted. Turns out I was using drivers that were too new. I reverted back to a stable driver from the 0.1.141 ISO and that seems to have resolved the issue.