XFS FIlesystem issue - how to recover after failed xfs repair...

ajburnet

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the forum and FAQ and couldn't see anything obvious on how to proceed - its been a while since I've had an issue with my unraid setup.

It looks like one of my drives has a filesystem issue - its showing as a non mountable filesystem. I've run an xfs repair but that ended reporting no superblock could be found. So not sure how to recover given I can't mount it and recover any data.

If I format, will unraid just rebuild it from parity? Probably a dumb question but any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Alex

2 minutes ago, ajburnet said:

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the forum and FAQ and couldn't see anything obvious on how to proceed - its been a while since I've had an issue with my unraid setup.

It looks like one of my drives has a filesystem issue - its showing as a non mountable filesystem. I've run an xfs repair but that ended reporting no superblock could be found. So not sure how to recover given I can't mount it and recover any data.

If I format, will unraid just rebuild it from parity? Probably a dumb question but any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Alex

Do NOT format the drive - that will guarantee data loss.    Parity cannot be used to fix an ‘unmountable’ disk type problem.

when you tried the xfs_repair command did you run it against the md device corresponding to the disk or did you try and run it directly against the physical drive?

/dev/sdX is NOT a valid name - when running against a physical drive you need to include the partition number.    However running against the physical drive will invalidate parity.   The recommended way to do things is to put the array into Maintenance mode and then run against the appropriate ‘md’ device (md devices do not need the partition to be specified) which does not invalidate parity.

You can also try running the xfs_repair against an emulated drive rather than a physical drive.   If that works you can then rebuild the problem disk to bring the physical drive back into step with the array.

2 hours ago, ajburnet said:

I've had a look through the forum and FAQ and couldn't see anything obvious on how to proceed

For future reference how to check filesystem is on the wiki:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems

2 hours ago, ajburnet said:

If that works, how would I go about re-building the drive?

Is the disk disable or just unmountable? If disable you should post your diagnostics.

Archived