Getting microphone on VM?

bobbintb

• 8 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 1:33 AM, bastl said:

Only passthrough the mic wont work

Not entirely true. I was able to get my wireless USB Razer headset to work with both sound and microphone, but somewhere during an Unraid OS upgrade and a BIOS update, some of my settings got switched and I lost the ability to use the mic in the Windows 10 VM. I was passing through the USB headset/mic onto the VM.

Now, I'm trying to remember how I got it to work because I mention the microphone problem in another gaming thread in which we were trying to troubleshoot the GPU pass-through without a secondary GPU. I'm thinking I might have to change/enable the IMOUU setting from my motherboard's bios or at least check to see that it is not on the default (Auto) and instead toggled as Enabled. But, I am running a headless server and I'm too lazy at the moment to drag the server over to the television.

Or I might have forgotten to install a driver from the VIRTIO image file from inside Windows.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Added some more details.
On 9/1/2019 at 3:22 AM, bastl said:

USB devices can change their adresses. Adding new USB devices, unpluggin, switching ports can cause this. Maybe thats the reason why it isn't working for you anymore.

I tried with two different USB mics, no luck. If only I can remember what I did before. I wrote an extensive write-up about building a gaming VM in another thread and I mentioned the "no microphone" problem, but I didn't post the solution. Must have been a trivial solution that was easy to fix for me not to post it. *shrugs*

But if I learn anything more, I'll let you know. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

OMG. It was as simple as going into Windows 10 Settings > Microphone Privacy Settings

OR

Use the spotlight search next to the Windows button and search for "Microphone Privacy Settings"

Make sure that apps are able to access your microphone by flipping the switch to on.

Here are some screenshots to help you:

1644199811_ScreenShot2019-09-06at21_24_51.png.e0a8f1e87de37921313f12a138850887.png

982929329_ScreenShot2019-09-06at21_24_56.png.38468e41d56354ad26c247a0f8a215d5.png

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Fixed the microphone issue.
  • Like 1

Nice to see you have fixed it. I could have run in the same issue with windows 10. First thing I do is to dissable everything in the privacy settings. No access to everything until you need it. But at some point you can forget that there is a checkbox you've ticked before to dissable something. Back in the days the main use of a firewall was to prevent access from the outside. These days more and more you have to configure firewalls to prevent stuff leaving your network. I hate that shift

Edited by bastl
  • Like 1