Dead/Dying Single Parity Disk & Slow File Copy (SOLVED)

Saldash

Hi all,

Hoping someone can tell me what's going on here, within the space of 17 hours, my parity disk went from having just passed an array health check to reported as missing  - Parity disk in error state (disk missing)

I'm trying to recover the files off to a local backup drive through Binhex Krusader and onto an external drive mounted with unassigned devices, but the copy process is painfully slow ~18-22KiB/s reported in krusader.

The CPU usage on half to all cores (only a 4 core machine) is basically pinned to 100% all the time, but I can't tell why, the unraid UI is mostly responsive except for the unassigned devices section which never moves on from "Please wait, retrieving information".

At first I thought it was because while the copy was in progress the parity disk was spitting out read errors all over the place, but I stopped the array, unassigned the parity disk, started the array again unprotected and it's still extremely slow.

The bad drive is still attached to the machine, just unmounted under unassigned devices.

I have a replacement disk ready to install, but I'm not sure if I can just go in, pull out the bad drive, stick the new disk in, assign it to parity and let it rebuild.

There are data backups but I do want what I can get off it now, only 5TB.

What's my best course of action here? I've left the file copy run for the last 2 days and it's only at 4% of 5TB... so waiting for it to finish isn't really an option.

Is the fact that the bad disk is still in there causing the system to crawl?

Thanks in advance,

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Parity disk is really bad and needs to be replaced, other than that don't see nothing that would cause the slow copy speed, there are a few call traces during boot but likely unrelated, probably it's always been like that, you could try rebooting, but the slow copy problem might no be the Unraid server.

I've got a replacement disk ready to go - should I just be able to shutdown, pull the bad disk, add the new and assign it to parity?

• Saldash changed the title to Dead/Dying Single Parity Disk & Slow File Copy (SOLVED)