Unraid and 10g Networking

mjk79

Hey All,

I'm currently a FreeNas user for my primary storage and I'm considering using Unraid for my backup server. I have a question regarding 10g networking, i do have a 10g network at home and I'm wondering if Unraid supports any 10g cards, or would it be pointless due to the drive write speed?

The 10g Nic i'll be using is a dual port Intel X520 card. If this doesn't make sense, i'm willing to live with with slower transfer speeds since it's just a backup, but if i can get faster speeds i'd like to make it happen.

Thanks for any input!

5 hours ago, mjk79 said:

I'm wondering if Unraid supports any 10g card

yes, some.

5 hours ago, mjk79 said:

would it be pointless due to the drive write speed?

depends on your drives. writing to ssd cache is at ssd speed for me via 10gbe (mellanox to solarflare.) reading from array is whatever that drive can sustain, which for some spinning discs is greater than gigabit. also if you're serving multiple clients that exceed gigabit then it is handy.

5 hours ago, mjk79 said:

The 10g Nic i'll be using is a dual port Intel X520 card.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mjk79 said:

or would it be pointless due to the drive write speed?

Depends mostly on your array and cache speeds, array you can get around 200MB/s+ with turbo write and when writing to the first half of recent hard disks, cache pool you can get up to 1GB/s with a fast pool or NVMe device, e.g. this is what I get transferring to one of my HDD cache pools, could probably get a little more with a faster CPU since SMB is single threaded and is maxing out my CPU.

1.png.b0766798365c588b0c2b355b7ca10542.png