A question of permissions

mwoods98

So, I have a question about unriad permissions. 

image.png.11b033a63355c0d732f77aa6894d8792.png

I will have a need to run filebot on TV shows to correct show names and also on Movies to fix Movie names.

But, I'll be doing this sometimes over the network. 

I have found out hat sometimes I can modify the files and sometimes I can't.

What should be the permission so that I can do this and which user should own the files.

Also, once I figure this out, it should be a simple to do a chwon user -R for all of the directories and files (I may be missing some info for this command)

Thanks!

The easiest way to fix permission problems is to install the Fix Common Problems plugin.  That will also install a script file called 'Docker Safe New Perms' in the Tools tab.   

Basically, for both directories and files, the 'owner' should be nobody and the 'group' should users.  Permissions for directories  should be rwx for 'owner', 'group' and 'other'.  Permissions for files should be rw- for 'owner', 'group', and 'other'.   

• Like 1

What @Frank1940 said.  But, your posted picture, even though its owned by root you will have no problems accessing the files within (assuming that the files are also set to permissions of 0777) 

But, if you've got say something like Radarr grabbing files, then unless you tell it (in it's own webUI) to set permissions of 0777 on files / directories, then you may have problems accessing them.

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

What @Frank1940 said.  But, your posted picture, even though its owned by root you will have no problems accessing the files within (assuming that the files are also set to permissions of 0777) 

But, if you've got say something like Radarr grabbing files, then unless you tell it (in it's own webUI) to set permissions of 0777 on files / directories, then you may have problems accessing them.

Correct! And that;s what was going on. Thanks for the tips!