Data Scrubs\Data Integrity Checks?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so feel free to move my post if needed. 

I am currently using FreeNAS and I am looking at switching over to UNRaid to help simplify my home server setup. However one of the things that I like about FreeNAS is the Data Scrubs\Data Integrity Checks that FreeNAS preforms. To get more detailed, FreeNAS will analyze the data that you are storing on a regular basis to check for any integrity issues that may have occurred due to bit rot or various other reasons. Does UNRaid have any kind of built in checks to ensure data integrity and protect against bit rot, etc? 

Thanks!   

To directly answer your question, Unraid doesn't have a method for checking for "bit rot."

That being said, there are so many layers of error correction built into memory, storage controllers, and storage devices themselves nowadays, that I honestly don't think this is really an issue anymore.

However, there are plugins you can use with Unraid to create checksums for all your data so you can periodically run scans to see if corruption occurred.

6 minutes ago, jonp said:

To directly answer your question, Unraid doesn't have a method for checking for "bit rot."

That being said, there are so many layers of error correction built into memory, storage controllers, and storage devices themselves nowadays, that I honestly don't think this is really an issue anymore.

However, there are plugins you can use with Unraid to create checksums for all your data so you can periodically run scans to see if corruption occurred.

Thanks for the information!    

Though I don't think bitrot is something really worth worrying about, there's are situations when checksums can be very helpful, for example if there are errors on multiple disks during a rebuild, Unraid can check for data corruption if you use btrfs as the filesystem, it has the same scrub function as zfs, though since each array disk is an independent filesystem with Unraid it can find corruption but it can't fix it, but that's what backups are for.

Also note btrfs is still not as stable as zfs or xfs, I've been using for a few years now without issues, but of course I have backups.