HPE ProLiant server hangs shutting down UNRAID; Drive controller failure follows minutes later.

I am kicking around the idea of putting UNRAID on my unused HPE ProLiant DL385p Gen8 and was doing some initial testing. Immediately I ran into a problem shutting down. It starts just fine and proceeds slowly. it get to the point where the screen output says "umount: /boot unmounted". This is where it appears to hang. After about five minutes the server's alarms start going off with a critical array controller failure. The only thing i can do at this point is pull the power. It may be important to know that the cursor on UNRAID's output is continuing to flash up until i pull power. 

The server is 6.6.7 with UEFI USB media created via the UNRAID tool. There are ho hard disk present in the system at the time of testing, just the boot flash drive.

I do have the Community Apps and Unassigned Devices installed as i was shutting down to add disks when i discover this problem. 

I have made and attached a diagnostics but i don't know how useful they will be as this is a blank installation with no disks and the problem happens at shutdown. Let me know if there is a better diagnostic output i should run/capture. Thanks.

hpe-diagnostics-20190306-0844.zip

ShutdownOutput.png

HPStorageInformation.PNG

HPManagementLog.PNG

Dang. While I was planning on connecting my 3.5 disk shelf via an extra LSI HBA, I was also hoping to use the internal P420i to manage the front 2.5 bays. And actually i was trying to save myself a step by mounting the existing hardware created RAID5 volume with Unassigned Devices so i could check for data before i nuke that array for setting to JBOD. That's if the tutorials i found online of forcing this controller to HBA mode actually work..

I'm riding on a lot of IFs at this point so i don't expect his to work as i was planning but i will test it out.

Thanks for putting your previous HP information together in a convenient place. Was an insightful read as a ProLiant owner. 

• Like 1