Stale Configuration

Here is some more details.

I'm running Unraid on a Dell r510. Comes with PERC H700 (which I know is frowned upon. However, this was for my initial test run). I set each drive up to RAID 0 so that each drive could be seen individually by Unraid. In total, I have 9 2TB drives and a couple of SSDs for the cache. It has been running fine for about 11 months. Recently, one of the disks started throwing some errors. I figured I'd just swap out that disk for another. I stopped the array, removed the drive, and restarted the drive. This is when I got the first "device missing" message.  However, I was still able to start the array.

I decided to dig a little deeper today and see if there was something else going on. I got into the BIOS, and a couple of the drives were reported "offline". I removed one, and put a spare that I had in the same slot, and the BIOS showed the drive in a "ready" state. I concluded that the "offline" drives have completely failed. 

I figured I was still fine, since my cache, parity and 2 array drives were still operational (as seen in the screenshot). So I'm a little perplexed as to why the array wouldn't start. 

Hopefully, that cleared it up a bit...

You have too many missing disks. Single parity will only allow you to run with one missing disk. And will only let you recover the data of one missing disk.

Do you mean you would now like to simply forget about those other disks and any data they might have had, and go ahead and run with fewer disks than you had before?

If so, then you will have to set a new config and rebuild parity.

Probably you shouldn't do anything but get rid of that controller and work with us to get all disks working again.

I think it's possible none of your disks have failed and the controller is the cause of all your problems. That and the fact that you didn't ask for advice when you had the first problem and just decided to do something that made things worse.

Gotcha. I've removed some drives and got the array to start again. Will most likely not mess with this until I figure out the controller issue. Any recommendations on a controller that would be compatible with the Dell r510? 

Also thinking about starting over with a brand new build. Any links or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 years later...