New parity, shift old parity.

I have a 10TB parity hdd running.

I bought and precleared a 14TB hdd.

I want to replace the old 10TB with the precleared 14TB. 

1.) Placing the 14TB hdd in place of the 10 hdd will auto build parity, right?

I want to use the 10TB hdd as a data drive.

2.) Do I need to zero the drive?  I can't find instructions that don't have me replacing a drive.

Please advise.

Or, since parity must be rebuilt anyway, set a new config and assign ALL drives where you want them, and let the new parity be built with the old parity included as a data drive. The old parity drive should be the only drive that shows as unmountable, if other drives show as unmountable, don't format until those other drives are showing up properly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

2).   If it is to replace an existing drive then no need to clear.  If it is adding it as a new drive then you can either pre-Clear it before adding it, or simply add it and let Unraid Clear (I.e. zero) it as part of the adding process.

Thank you 🙂

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Or, since parity must be rebuilt anyway, set a new config and assign ALL drives where you want them, and let the new parity be built with the old parity included as a data drive. The old parity drive should be the only drive that shows as unmountable, if other drives show as unmountable, don't format until those other drives are showing up properly.

I really appreciate it.