Server Build 2019

Hello,

Sorry if this is a repeat post, I am new to unraid and never built a server before and need some guidance.

I need a nas, 4-6 drives and instead of buying a synology/qnap thought it would be better to build my own using unraid, both to learn and have some fun. I am trying to build a kit list but getting confused with the different motherbord/cpu/ram and wondering if anybody has kit list i can copy.

The prime function of the server is for a NAS and will have a couple of virtual machines for plex server/pi hole. I dont think 4k transcoding is a big deal for me, also it will ramp up the cost of the server. I was thinking of getting 4 x 4tb hdd and raiding them to raid 10.

Can someone please help with a kit list, trying to keep the cost to around £1000, the lower the better, also getting a low power consumption server is a key requirement.

thank you in advance, it is very much appreciated.

regards

a fellow future unraider 

• Like 1

Hey,

I don't mind helping you out on this. Few questions to ask before hand but unRAID can run on pretty much any hardware. unRAID does not use your standard RAID configs so you won't be putting those drives in RAID 10. 

- What size of case are you looking for? 

- Any issues with noise? 

Use PCPartspicker to price up a machine. For £1k you can get a real decent NAS. 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

unRAID uses non-standard RAID, you can't choose another. If you buy 4 X 4TB drives one of these drives will need to be a parity drive so you will only have 12TB usable for the array. If a drive fails in your array you replace the drive and unRAID will rebuild the array from parity. Problem is if your parity and one of your arrive drives fail at the same time you lose all data.

Another question how important will this data be? Will this be a backup server for your important data, photos etc or just media storage films/TV shows (replaceable data). This will matter for which RAM you purchase but also restrict you in terms of hardware you can buy. If the data is not important it opens up your options greatly. 

Edited by witalit
On 4/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, jayesh_patel said:

UNRAID's non-standard RAID sound good to me.

The data I will be backing up is important documents and files (pictures/videos/files), I will be also backing up the data on an external hard drive just incase, but yes the files are very important. 

Right OK so in that case if data is important rule of thumb has been to use ECC Memory. This restricts options of motherboards as most consumer grade motherboards do not support ECC memory. Also looking for ECC memory that works with a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX size board is even more restrictive. 

I had the same issue a year back check out my build thread and responses from others:

Some may disagree that ECC Ram is required but as this is my main backup server I wanted to be sure its solid and prevent data corruption. Unfortunately for this reason there is a price you pay in terms of hardware flexibility.