VM NOOB Question

i have created a VM of windows 7, it works perfectly! my question is i have a vdisk1.img and a Libvirt file both 118GB each. i have installed a 128GB NVMe SSD for this VM. assigned the VM share to only use this Drive and not the cache drive, but the libvirt file will not move off the cache drive.

so is the VM actually 236GB?

how do i get the Libvirt file off the cache drive? and what is it for?

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 11.13.16 AM.png

6 minutes ago, spl147 said:

how do i get the Libvirt file off the cache drive? and what is it for?

You have to disable the VM service via settings

The primary item it stores are the xml's for the VM's

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

It needs to include the filename so the path normally ends in libvirt.img

Probably no folder named "libvirt", so the system made a file called libvirt

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

libvirt.img file is normally only 1GB in size - have you done something to get a larger one?

Size can be changed when the VM service is stopped.  But I agree that very little reason to have one > 1G

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You screenshot looks wrong for the libvirt file!     It needs to include the filename so the path normally ends in libvirt.img.   The other thing is that the libvirt.img file is normally only 1GB in size - have you done something to get a larger one?

im new to VM, im not sure, i might have increased it when i increased the size of the VM

can i delete the Libvirt img file and restart the VM service, to have a new default size created?

21 minutes ago, spl147 said:

im new to VM, im not sure, i might have increased it when i increased the size of the VM

can i delete the Libvirt img file and restart the VM service, to have a new default size created?

Yes, but doing so will lose all settings for your VMs so they would need recreating from scratch.   When recreating the VMs you can point them at the existing vdisks.

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Yes, but doing so will lose all settings for your VMs so they would need recreating from scratch.   When recreating the VMs you can point them at the existing vdisks.

ok, all back up and running! thank you all!!

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 11.59.05 AM.png