unRAID media server, but Plex separate.

dbinott

I am new to unRAID and curious if anyone has done this, or if it's even a OK idea to implement?

I have everything running on a win10 machine with an i7-4790k, 32gb ram with ~18TB in storage spaces.

I just built an unRAID server but it only has an i5-4590, 24gb. What I was thinking of doing is keeping Plex on the i7, and only Plex because it is an awesome CPU and has been great for me, then move all other apps, sonarr, radarr et al. to the unRAID box. Now I was going to leave the windows storage spaces as is and map to unraid. But I assume I would be better off moving it to the array? If I don't move it to the array, can the mover move files to a mapped network drive instead of the array?

Thanks. Sorry if these sound like n00by questions. I have been reading a lot so as to not be that n00by any more. ;)

20 minutes ago, dbinott said:

can the mover move files to a mapped network drive instead of the array?

no

Unclear where the actual media files would reside. You talk about having an Unraid NAS, but also having Windows Storage Spaces. It probably makes more sense to have the plex server running on the same computer the media files reside on.