Full Rebuild with SSDs (Suggestions)

bcr621

I've had my unRaid server up and running for about six years now and I think it's time for some major upgrading. I have a 15TB array (5 3TB HDD's with a 3TB parity drive. I use the array primarily to host my Plex server, store all of my music files for iTunes, as my DVR (I have HDHomerun) and to backup the laptop and file server for my business. I've noticed lately that the server itself is slowing down a lot. My Plex and DVR files tend to stop and start more and my backups fail more often than not. I recently had to restore one of the drives after it was disabled, the process took five days. 

So I'm looking to both upgrade the hardware and downsize the server at the same time. 15 TB is a bit of overkill, I'm only currently using 7 TB. I was a little over-ambitious when I initially built the server.

Here's my current setup:

Asus Z87-A ATX Motherboard - LGA1150

Intel Core i5-4570 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz

Kingston HyperX 16GB Kit 2 x 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

(5) Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST3000DM001)

Toshiba 3.5-Inch 3TB 7200 RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 64MB Hard Drive DT01ACA300 (Parity) 

unRaid Pro 6.7.0

I don't know if the slowdown of the system is being cause by the age of the HDD's or the processor or the memory, or a combination of all of it. I'd like to convert the whole system to SSD's totalling 10 TB (5 2TB drives with a 2TB parity drive). However, I'm not sure if I should just upgrade the drives one at a time, or if I should go with a full rebuild. I'm wide open to suggestions. Thanks. 

On 6/2/2019 at 5:26 AM, johnnie.black said:

You can't "upgrade" to smaller devices, you'll need to do a new config and start over.

I'm aware. I was more asking if I should upgrade the underlying components before redoing the array. 

You really should identify the root cause of your slowdown before you start trying to blindly eliminate it or you may find yourself with a new server and the same performance.

Start monitoring the server when you experience the slowdowns to see if you can pin it down.

SSD's aren't ideal for long-term storage or files that don't change unless it has tech that shuffles data around for even wear leveling.