New tutorial in the wiki

Spectrum

Your info on the minimum free space is a little wrong. That setting is the most important when using the fill-up method. It will get used with the other methods but it's not nearly as important.

I cheated on the User Shares section and pretty much just listed the options and linked to the un-official manual.  I want to think about the verbiage before I write out info on allocation and split leveling, but if someone wants to beat me to it and make it purty go right ahead!

I'm have been trying to write up some parts for the split level and the allocation method but I'll have to expand on the free-space setting as part of this since it all works together. I've created some notes and pictures but if I can't put the pics into the Wiki then it becomes somewhat pointless. So, I've asked Tom for help since the Wiki software supports pics but it just looks to be disabled.

Peter

I wonder where I got that info from?  I can't find it now and I'm sure it's not something I just made up....  I found the mention of Fill-up being added in the release notes, but it's not listed in the official or the un-official manual.  So will the system leave free on each drive whatever min free space is set to for any allocation method or just for fill up?  Also how (is?) this parameter used when allocation method is set to high water?

Even Tom seems to struggle some when explaining split level ;D  It's one of those things that makes sense when you get it, but is really difficult to explain to others...  Physics instructors struggle with this problem all the time ;)

In the 'Add Drives to the Array' section, I think theres an extra step needed to format the newly precleared disks

Had an issue whereby my user share configuration changes weren't sticking, and it turned out to be that there were no running data disks, as everything was unformatted

In the 'Add Drives to the Array' section, I think theres an extra step needed to format the newly precleared disks

Had an issue whereby my user share configuration changes weren't sticking, and it turned out to be that there were no running data disks, as everything was unformatted

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll need to configure a VM and test it out and I'll nail down the exact procedure and update the wiki unless someone beats me to it ;)

I added a few paragraphs to the tutorial describing the need to format the data drives before using them for data or defining user-shares.

Joe L.