Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
io1901

HP MS Gen8 lost two drives

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

It's more of an enquiry as I seem to have fixed the problem but would like to know if anyone else has seen anything.  Yesterday, the web gui went very slow and I noticed that two of the drive (of 3 data) had dropped out of the array and appeared in the unassigned devices (they did seem to have any errors - but as the GUI was running so slow it was hard to check.  I panicked a bit here, restarted the server and it came up exactly the same way,  Turned it off and removed all 4 drives and made sure that they were all correctly seated, on restart only two drives were visible.  Really panicked now as I didn't know ( and still don't) whether it was a drive problem,  a SATA interface problem, or an unraid problem.  I stripped a spare PC down added the four drives + cache drives + USB and it came up first time - array was fine (VMs didn't work because of change pf hardware),  closed it down,  moved all the drives back to server - same result as before two drives missing. I now assuming it's the HP Server that's gone wonky. I download a trial version of unraid (that's a lot easier than it used to be ;) ) and populated the HP with some of my older retired drives and what do you know, it works fine.  I know have a little less than 30 days to do some testing to see if the HP server does it again.  

Has anyone any ideas what could have caused the problem, the HP Server has been running well for the past 4 years, athough I have just upgraded the RAM (16GiB) and processor (e31260L)?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

At the time you were panicking did you think to grab diagnostics before you rebooted? They would have given some useful pointers. Has the CRC error count for the affected drives increased?

 

It's probably a mechanical contact issue. Reseating the drives in their bays was a good move. You could also reseat the SATA breakout cable at the motherboard end and at the rear of the four drive bays.

 

Unlikely to be related but in the interests of minimising problems in the future, how's the temperature of your processor? The Xeon 1260L has a 10 watt higher TDP than the stock Celeron G1610T so you might want to increase the fan speed. Did you run a MemTest on the new RAM?

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, John_M said:

At the time you were panicking did you think to grab diagnostics before you rebooted? They would have given some useful pointers. Has the CRC error count for the affected drives increased?

 

It's probably a mechanical contact issue. Reseating the drives in their bays was a good move. You could also reseat the SATA breakout cable at the motherboard end and at the rear of the four drive bays.

 

Unlikely to be related but in the interests of minimising problems in the future, how's the temperature of your processor? The Xeon 1260L has a 10 watt higher TDP than the stock Celeron G1610T so you might want to increase the fan speed. Did you run a MemTest on the new RAM?

Good suggestions,  I forget about the Diagnostics - shouldn't really, - I 'll make a note on the servers to remind me. Checked all the connections - could have been that as you have to remove the motherboard tray and disconnect everything to change the CPU.  The temperatures have been fine not a lot higher than  stock at 38-50C - The server controls its fan quite well. Memtest the RAM and was fine. I did the other things as well.  W

Share this post


Link to post

I've got a HP Gen8 and have exactly the same issue. 2 disks appeared in unassigned devices.

 

I'm still trying to fix the issue it seems like in my state of panic I might have broken things.

 

I didn't think about taking a diagnostic at the time either.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/1/2019 at 8:44 PM, HidYn said:

I've got a HP Gen8 and have exactly the same issue. 2 disks appeared in unassigned devices.

 

I'm still trying to fix the issue it seems like in my state of panic I might have broken things.

 

I didn't think about taking a diagnostic at the time either.

I've bought a backup! Not Microserver as they are still making silly money (>£300), but a Dell T1600 (<£60). I've moved all the disks around so that the originals are back in the Microserver and the "new" ones are in the T1600. I have a feeling that it was a Windows 10 VM that seems to be misbehaving but still have proof.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this