SuperMicro CSE-933T-R760B NAS Network Storage Server - $499 to $599

DoeBoye

I am in for one. I sent you message.

I'm running it with only one processor in at the moment for benchmarks. I'll have them posted a little later, going to watch Inception in my Theater.

Nothing I have thrown at it seems to choke (rebuilding parity right now). As long as nothing pegs the processor in my testing I see no reason we should run both.

If they work...

1. GiraffeNinja

2. Teamhood

3. ?

4. ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I didn't even have power cables.  Mine came in an EMC box with a lot of foam packaging.  The cleaning girls did a good job of tearing it all apart so I just don't think I have those screws.  Of course I bought from the $499 vendor not the $599 vendor.  Also didn't get power cables.  Do all three power supplies need to be powered up to not get a warning?

Neil

Oh I bought the 599 one. Since I live in texas I figured shipping 70lbs + tax was a pretty big disincentive to bother with the 499 one.

The new box I had came with 3 power cables, rack rails, some documentation + cd (no idea what is on it), 6 screws per bay, labels for the outside hd cases... maybe a bit more but that's pretty close to it. Oh, the server also had the plastic shipping protection on it from the manufacturer.

Yeah the 499 guy said you had to pay tax if you lived in TX too though... I'm pretty sure the 599 was never used, so I'm happy with my choice. Just wish I talked them down to 499 like others on the board seemed to have done.

I tried to run Air Video on this hardware and the CPU power doesn't really seem to be enough to stream 720/1080p mkv to iOS. Was hoping to double dip...

I have not had much luck with air video on anything short of a i3. Once I have finished the stress test of this hardware I'll move this to my main unraid. Then I'll install osx server on my i3 server, run my mail server and my plex server off that.

You should look into plex, it has alot of air video features built in.

Anyone in the market for a 1 month old 8 port sas card and the cables for it?

Anyone in the market for a 1 month old 8 port sas card and the cables for it?
I am  interested and would like to talk, if you're not joking. Forgive me, as I've not been totally following this thread. Is it a PCIeX4 card? ie. The AOC-SASLP-MV8. I've got one in my C2SEE-O, but need another to help fill out my Norco 4220.

Thanx

/justme

They should be here Tuesday. I'll toss them in as soon as they arrive.

I may also compile the kernel with the power saving features to see how much it helps at idle.

Already replaced all 6 fans with the Coolermaster Blademaster's and the noise is much better. Have not yet been able to get the IPMI to work, although to be fair I've been fighting more with the FTP and permissions issues on the beta.

The 3 power supplies seem to be one of the biggest drains right now, looks like connecting all 3 eats up 45 watts (15 each just for being connected).

For one last test after the new processors come in, I think I will gut the system and toss my i3 board and AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards in just to make sure my numbers are lining up.

They should be here Tuesday. I'll toss them in as soon as they arrive.

I may also compile the kernel with the power saving features to see how much it helps at idle.

Already replaced all 6 fans with the Coolermaster Blademaster's and the noise is much better. Have not yet been able to get the IPMI to work, although to be fair I've been fighting more with the FTP and permissions issues on the beta.

The 3 power supplies seem to be one of the biggest drains right now, looks like connecting all 3 eats up 45 watts (15 each just for being connected).

For one last test after the new processors come in, I think I will gut the system and toss my i3 board and AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards in just to make sure my numbers are lining up.

I haven't tried this yet... but can we just plug in 1 power supply? Looks like I need to buy some Coolermaster Blademaster fans, do these also use less power?

--FANS--

Stock fans

Rear Fan  7 watt

Front Fan  4 watt

Blademaster

Rear Fan  2 watt

Front Fan  3 watt

Parts Used

4x http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034AFDL4

2x http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030DSECK

*we do not need the extra wires posted in the case thread (if you want some I now have 6)

The noise is much lower, I have the server sitting about 3 feet from me and I can actually work like this.

Replacing the fans took a little customization. You will need to cut off one of the guides on the top of the new fan connectors (just takes an x-acto knife, you will see what I mean). The new fan wires are too long to be easily tucked into the plastic tray, I just drilled a hole out the bottom and fed the extra wire through then used electrical tape to secure the excess. If anyone needs more info I'll post some pictures.

End result much quieter and uses 14 watts less power.

--FANS--

Stock fans

Rear Fan   7 watt

Front Fan   4 watt

Blademaster

Rear Fan   2 watt

Front Fan   3 watt

Parts Used

4x http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034AFDL4

2x http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030DSECK

*we do not need the extra wires posted in the case thread (if you want some I now have 6)

The noise is much lower, I have the server sitting about 3 feet from me and I can actually work like this.

Replacing the fans took a little customization. You will need to cut off one of the guides on the top of the new fan connectors (just takes an x-acto knife, you will see what I mean). The new fan wires are too long to be easily tucked into the plastic tray, I just drilled a hole out the bottom and fed the extra wire through then used electrical tape to secure the excess. If anyone needs more info I'll post some pictures.

End result much quieter and uses 14 watts less power.

Photos would be pretty nice. I was wondering how you connected the new fans as these ones don't have wire, but the built-in plug.

Just an FYI if anyone cares these screws did work.  Tried them this morning.  Now just waiting for my Y power adapters and power cables! Hooray! Now comes the BF sales for 2 TB drives :)

-Single Stock Processor- (Hyperthreaded)

268 watt parity

189 watt idle

88 MB/s Parity (over 30 min)

-Single Stock Processor-

230 watt parity

180 watt idle

58 MB/s parity (over 30 min)

-Single LV Processor- (Hyperthreaded)

230 watt parity

151 watt idle

90 MB/s Parity (over 30 min)

-Single LV Processor-

222 watt parity

151 watt idle

60 MB/s Parity (over 30 min)

Just checking my numbers now to make sure.

The best comparison here seems to be between non Hyperthreaded Stock and the LV Hyperthreaded. Same power usage for parity but 50% faster and 29 watts less for idle.

*as an odd note, parity appears to be balanced right at 50% CPU usage. Each time I ran parity the CPU usage floated right at 50%. It looks like faster processor = faster parity right up to the speed of the Hard Drive.